Take advantage of the search to browse through the World Heritage Centre information.

Marketplace
World Heritage Canopy
Projects Funded
Most recent
Alphabetical
Default

Activities

The World Heritage Centre is at the forefront of the international community’s efforts to protect and preserve.

Following the inscription of the Minaret and archaeological remains of Jam in the 'World Heritage List' and the 'List of the World Heritage in Danger' in 2002, the Government of Switzerland has decided to generously ...

Since 2008, the World Heritage Centre, within the framework of the France-UNESCO Cooperation Agreement, supported and participated in the initiative “Developing Historic Cities: Keys for Understanding and Taking ...

Carried out under the aegis of the France-UNESCO Cooperation Agreement, this project aimed to strengthen local capacity and sustain actions undertaken at the local level.Surrounded by the huge Djurdjura, the Bibans ...

Africa is underrepresented on the World Heritage List, particularly concerning archaeological sites. This is why it is important to assist countries in the preparation of nominations. In a territory approximately ...

The construction of the Basilica Saint. Basil the Blessed, Moscow, Russian Federation, took place between 1552 and 1561 after the capture of Kazan by Tsar Ivan IV, also known as Ivan the Terrible, to commemorate his ...

The Historic Centre of Riga, Latvia, was inscribed on the World Heritage List in 1997 for its urban and architectural values. The city’s urban morphology is a fine example of the development and evolution phases of ...

Thanks to Victoria Ocampo (1890-1979), one of the most important Argentine cultural figures of the 20th century, Villa Ocampo (Buenos Aires, Argentina) was the privileged witness of the French-Argentine cultural ...

The Historic Areas of Istanbul, Turkey, were inscribed on the World Heritage List in 1985, and as a strategic point in the Bosphorus peninsula between the Balkans and Anatolia, the Black Sea and the Mediterranean, ...

Making Culture a Motor for ReconstructionHaiti, the "land of a thousand colours" "Haiti will certainly not die, because its painters started painting again, its poets started creating, its singers composing, its ...

The two Temples of Ramses II at Abu Simbel and the Sanctuary of Isis at Philae are the most illustrious of the Nubian Monuments from Abu Simbel to Philae (Egypt), listed as World Heritage since 1979. The Great ...

This project aimed to ensure the training of local skilled staff in restoration and rehabilitation, through organization of education programmes in partnership with the “Friends of Tlemcen” NGO.Tlemcen, Algeria, was ...

The project aims at the emergency consolidation, conservation and restoration of the Minaret of Jam and The Fifth Minaret in Herat. Expected results: Consolidated and rehabilitated Minaret of Jam and Fifth ...

The Mosque of Haji Pyada, built in the second half of the 9th century, is the most ancient Islamic religious structure in Afghanistan. Its form, a small square divided into nine equal sections covered with domes, ...

Financed by the US Contribution to UNESCO, the US$250,000 pilot project for the documentation and conservation of Kabul Museum’s endangered collections produced inventories of objects that survived the years of war, ...

Tangible Heritage in Europe

UNESCO and the Government of Mozambique signed an agreement in 2003 for the rehabilitation of the San Sebastian Fortress, the most emblematic monument on the Island of Mozambique, a site inscribed on the World ...

Edited by Junzo Kawada, Published by CRATerre-ENSAG and UNESCO World Heritage Centre. This publication describes the first restoration project of a World Heritage site in Benin, financed through a cooperation ...

During unsettled periods between the thirteenth and seventeenth centuries, Ethiopian rulers moved their royal camps frequently. King Fasil (Fasiledes) settled in Gondar and established it as a permanent capital in ...

The town of Harar dates from before the thirteenth century. Its strategic location between the coastal lowlands and central highlands led to its development as an important centre of Islamic culture and commerce. A ...

Following the decline of the Aksumite Empire, power shifted in the twelfth and thirteenth centuries to Roha in Lasta District. This was renamed for King Lalibela (1181-1221) of the Zagwe Dynasty which ruled in ...

Since 2001, with the support of the UNESCO/Republic of Korea Funds-in-Trust, the World Heritage Centre coordinates conservation and capacity building activities in the Democratic People's Republic of Korea to ...

Following four preliminary survey missions fielded by the Japanese Government in response to the request of the Royal Government of Cambodia, the Japanese Government Team for Safeguarding Angkor (JSA) was set up in ...

In December 1995, the Director-General of UNESCO and the representative of the Bosnia and Herzegovina Government signed a Cooperation Memorandum providing for the preparation of reconstruction and restoration ...

Beside the famous Stari Most (Old Bridge), a genuine symbol of the town destroyed in 1993, there is another ancient bridge in Mostar: the Kriva Cuprija (or the Crooked Bridge).  It crosses the Rabobolja creek, a ...

The "Old Bridge" enhanced the town's development and prosperity. It was its raison d'être.  Despite reinforcement works sometimes incompatible with modern restoration principles, this construction was in a perfect ...

This historical mosque, situated in the vicinity of the Old Bridge, in the most touristic part of Mostar, was built c. 1600.  This monocameral mosque had a rectangular plan a roof of slates and a slender minaret, ...

In the sestiere or district of Castello, at the entrance to the calle del Paradiso, so called because of the splendid illuminations on festival nights, there is an elegant Gothic arch surmounted by a triangular ...

This church was built in the second half of the seventeenth century by Giuseppe Benoni; the façade is the work of Giuseppe Sardi.Antonio Barbaro left detailed instructions in his will for the design, building and ...

The first stage of Venice in Peril’s (VIP) exciting venture into the conservation of historic housing in Venice also reached completion during the year. This Superintendency-led project brought together an ...

The Amici della Basilica dei SS. Giovanni e Paolo (with funding from the Fondazione Varzi) commissioned preliminary chemical analyses in the Cappella Sagredo, with frescoes by Tiepolo, in the Church of S. Francesco ...

The Comité français financed the restoration of Lorenzo Bregno's sixteenth-century funeral monument to Alvise Pasqualigo in the Church of the Frari in memory of Ms Solange Gaussen. In November and December the ...

In 1470 or thereabouts, an image of a Madonna and child was enshrined in a niche overlooking the street. Gradually, a history of miracles grew up around it, and the Venetians so worshipped the Madonna that they ...

Cooperating this time with the new American committee Venetian Heritage Inc., the Comitato Italiano saw work on the high altar of the Church of San Rocco almost completed and a start made on two gilded and painted ...

In a joint effort, the Comitato Italiano per Venezia secured funding for the restoration of the dozens of iron window and door frames in the ancient Artiglierie building in the Arsenale.In time for part of it to be ...

Three and a half centuries of neglect and maltreatment were finally reversed in October 1999 with the completion of the comprehensive restoration of the Ancient Jewish Cemetery on the Lido, first established in ...

Save Venice Inc. brought three projects in the Church of San Francesco della Vigna to completion during the year. The Cappella Badoer-Giustinian was restored in memory of one of the founding fathers of the ...

The Comité français pour la sauvegarde de Venise often sponsors the restoration of Venetian monuments that have a French connection. This is the case of the Cappella Clary in the Church of San Trovaso, the burial ...

Responding to the Superintendency’s urgent appeal for attention to the Cappella Emiliani, attached to the façade of the Church of San Michele, the Venice in Peril Fund financed preliminary diagnostic surveys and ...

Working on its own account, Venetian Heritage launched the preliminary phases of two projects during the year in preparation for the restoration of the frescoes in the sacristy of the Church of S. Salvador and of ...

During the year 1999, Save Venice Inc.passed from the planning to the execution phase of the restoration of the German Synagogue, but even after full-scale preparatory surveys and tests the Superintendency is ...

The Venice branch of Zonta Club International undertook to fund the restoration of Jacopo Bassano's famous painting of the "Nativity" in the Basilica of S. Giorgio Maggiore.  The Association of Private Committees ...

The Comité français pour la sauvegarde de Venise began the restoration and refurbishment of two frescoed rooms in the Querini Stampalia Foundation, once occupied by the Serenissima's last ambassador to France. The ...

A 13th century sculpted marble angel and the archway supporting it in Calle Magno, Castello. This was a long-awaited inauguration financed by Pro Venezia Sweden and the Australian Committee for Venice. Working space ...

The decoration, carried out at the end of the 18th century for the wedding of Alvise Querini di Zuanne and Maria Teresa di Francesco, consists of stucco work in the pre-neoclassical style, with marmorino borders in ...

The current UNESCO project comprises three main components: Installation of an under-floor heating system as well as a new brick floor to respect the original floor covering, and restoration of a painted wooden ...

In 1954 the decision to build the Aswan High Dam was made. This dam would lead to the creation of a huge artificial lake covering the Upper Nile Valley from Aswan in Egypt to the Dal Cataract in Sudan - a culturally ...

This rock-hewn church is a 600-year-old sanctuary in the building tradition of the northern part of Ethiopia, and marks the advent of Christianity in the southern part of Adadi Mariam, badly damaged by time, has ...