Call for case studies “Historic Cities in Development: Keys for Understanding and Action”. A Compilation of Case Studies on the Conservation and Management of Historic Cities.
Call for case studies
About the project
This project is headed by the OWHC - Organization of World Heritage Cities and it is coordinated by the General Secretariat of the OWHC and the City of Lyon (member of the OWHC) in collaboration with:
- UNESCO's World Heritage Centre (as part of its financial and technical support through the Convention France-UNESCO and the Netherlands' Funds-in-Trust)
- Getty Conservation Institute
- Council of Europe
- ICOMOS International (represented by the CIVVIH) - International Council on Monuments and Sites, International Committee on Historic Towns and Villages
This collection of case studies aims to enhance the awareness and understanding of decision-makers, elected officials and practitioners so that they include culture and heritage in all their urban development strategies and it's a valuable opportunity to create city-to-city partnerships. Moreover, the project can feed into UNESCO's current debates on the links between culture and development.
This project is implemented by a Steering Committee representing all partners. The Regional Secretariats of the OWHC as well as the City of Regensburg (Germany) are also associated with this initiative.
Case studies selected and proposed by cities themselves. The analytical approach is multidisciplinary and counts on the participation of the contributors.
This call for contributions is addressed to all with responsibilities on conservation and management of world heritage cities, like technical staff, public administrators and experts on different subjects regarding world heritage issues.
The case studies compilation is based on a questionnaire in order to compose a group of succinct files that will inspire further analysis and constitute a data base.
It is very important to respond and send the questionnaire to the Steering committee and its technical team.
Impact and results
The final results will be taken to the 11th Congress of WHCO at Sintra (Portugal), in November 2011, counting with participants from all over the world. A case studies presentation will take place to encourage the share of experiences.
Steering Committee, October 2010
- 11th OWHC-World Congress on "World Heritage Cities and Climate Change", Sintra (Portugal) Nov 22, 2011-Nov 25, 2011
- Concept note (english)
- Cuestionario (espanol)
- Nota conceptual (espanol)
- Note de projet (français)
- Questionnaire (english)
- Questionnaire (français)
- Recueil d'étud de cas sur la gestion des villes historiques. Des clefs pour comprendre et agir
- XI Congres de lOVPM Sintra Portugal 22_25 noveembre 2011 Villes et changement climatique