The World Heritage Committee
The World Heritage Committee meets once a year, and consists of representatives from 21 of the States Parties to the Convention elected by their General Assembly. At its first session, the Committee adopted its Rules of Procedure of the World Heritage Committee.
The Committee is responsible for the implementation of the World Heritage Convention, defines the use of the World Heritage Fund and allocates financial assistance upon requests from States Parties. It has the final say on whether a property is inscribed on the World Heritage List. It examines reports on the state of conservation of inscribed properties and asks States Parties to take action when properties are not being properly managed. It also decides on the inscription or deletion of properties on the List of World Heritage in Danger.
In light of recent developments in the world related to pandemic COVID-19, it was decided that the 44th session of the World Heritage Committee, initially scheduled for 29 June - 9 July 2020 will be postponed to a later date. Consultations are currently under way to determine the exact dates of the session.
Please note that the dates of the dispatches of statutory documents for the 44th session will be established, in accordance with the Rules of Procedure, once the dates of the 44th session of the Committee are fixed.
Further information will be provided as soon as possible. Many thanks for your understanding.
of the World Heritage Committee
Strategic Objectives of
the World Heritage Convention
The Five "Cs"
Strengthen the Credibility of the World Heritage List.
Ensure the effective Conservation of World Heritage properties.
Promote the development of Capacity-building measures.
Increase public awareness, involvement and support for World Heritage through Communication.
Enhance the role of Communities in the implementation of the World Heritage Convention.
Bureau of the World Heritage Committee
The Bureau consists of seven States Parties elected annually by the Committee: a Chairperson, five Vice-Chairpersons, and a Rapporteur. The Bureau of the Committee coordinates the work of the Committee and fixes the dates, hours and order of business of meetings. The election of the new Bureau will take place at the end of the next session of the World Heritage Committee.
World Heritage Committee Members
According to the World Heritage Convention , a Committee member's term of office is for six years, but most States Parties choose voluntarily to be Members of the Committee for only four years, in order to give other States Parties an opportunity to be on the Committee.
The 21 States Parties of the current World Heritage Committee are the following:
Australia, Bahrain, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, China, Egypt, Ethiopia, Guatemala, Hungary, Kyrgyzstan, Mali, Nigeria, Norway, Oman, Russian Federation, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, Spain, Thailand, Uganda
Rules of Procedure
Established under the Convention concerning the Protection of the World Cultural and Natural Heritage adopted by the General Conference of UNESCO at its seventeenth session on 16 November 1972. The Rules of Procedure were last revised by the World Heritage Committee at its thirty-ninth session (Bonn, 2015). The Rules of Procedure are periodically revised to reflect the decisions of the World Heritage Committee.
Rules of Procedure: Historical Development
Ordinary sessions of the World Heritage Committee
44COM Fuzhou, China (2020)
43COM Baku, Azerbaijan (2019)
42COM Manama, Bahrain (2018)
41COM Kraków, Poland (2017)
40COM Istanbul, Turkey, July / UNESCO’s Headquarters, October (2016)
39COM Germany, Bonn (2015)
38COM Qatar, Doha (2014)
37COM Phnom Penh, Cambodia (2013)
36COM Saint Petersburg, Russian Federation (2012)
35COM UNESCO, Paris (2011)
34COM Brasília, Brazil (2010)
33COM Sevilla, Spain (2009)
32COM Quebec City, Canada (2008)
31COM Christchurch, New-Zealand (2007)
30COM Vilnius, Lithuania (2006)
29COM Durban, South Africa (2005)
28COM Suzhou, China (2004)
27COM UNESCO, Paris (2003)
26COM Budapest, Hungary (2002)
25COM Helsinki, Finland (2001)
24COM Cairns, Australia (2000)
23COM Marrakesh, Morocco (1999)
22COM Kyoto, Japan (1998)
21COM Naples, Italy (1997)
20COM Mérida, Mexico (1996)
19COM Berlin, Germany (1995)
18COM Phuket, Thailand (1994)
17COM Cartagena, Colombia (1993)
16COM Santa Fe, USA (1992)
15COM Carthage, Tunisia (1991)
14COM Banff, Canada (1990)
13COM UNESCO, Paris (1989)
12COM Brasilia, Brazil (1988)
11COM UNESCO, Paris (1987)
10COM UNESCO, Paris (1986)
09COM UNESCO, Paris (1985)
08COM Buenos Aires, Argentina (1984)
07COM Florence, Italy (1983)
06COM UNESCO, Paris (1982)
05COM Sydney, Australia (1981)
04COM UNESCO, Paris (1980)
03COM Luxor, Egypt (1979)
02COM Washington, D.C (1978)
01COM UNESCO, Paris (1977)
13EXTCOM UNESCO, Paris (2019)
12EXTCOM UNESCO, Paris (2017)
11EXTCOM UNESCO, Paris (2015)
10EXTCOM UNESCO, Paris (2011)
9EXTCOM UNESCO, Paris (2010)
08EXTCOM UNESCO, Paris (2007)
07EXTCOM UNESCO, Paris (2004)
06EXTCOM UNESCO, Paris (2003)
05EXTCOM UNESCO, Paris (2001)
04EXTCOM UNESCO, Paris (1999)
03EXTCOM UNESCO, Paris (1999)
02EXTCOM UNESCO, Paris (1997)
01EXTCOM UNESCO, Paris (1981)
- Nine new members elected to World Heritage Committee Wednesday, 27 November 2019
- World Heritage Committee to meet in Baku (Azerbaijan) to examine inscription of new sites on World Heritage List Friday, 21 June 2019
- Twelve new members elected to World Heritage Committee Tuesday, 14 November 2017
- The World Heritage site of Comoé National Park in Côte d’Ivoire no longer in danger Tuesday, 4 July 2017
- Annual Meeting of World Heritage Committee opens in Krakow Monday, 3 July 2017
- World Heritage Committee to Meet in Krakow, Poland, from 2 to 12 July Friday, 16 June 2017
- World Heritage Committee completes 40th session Thursday, 27 October 2016
- Polish city of Kraków to host 2017 World Heritage Committee session Sunday, 17 July 2016
- Eight new sites inscribed on UNESCO’s World Heritage List Sunday, 17 July 2016
- Four new sites inscribed on UNESCO’s World Heritage List Sunday, 17 July 2016
- Information and exchange session and Orientation session on the occasion of 41st session of the World Heritage Committee 23-May-2017-23-May-2017
- Orientation Session for Committee Members 10-Jul-2016
- Orientation Session for Members of the World Heritage Committee 18-Feb-2016-18-Feb-2016
- Orientation session for the members of the World Heritage Committee 22-Jan-2015-22-Jan-2015
- Orientation session for the members of the World Heritage Committee 23-Jan-2014-23-Jan-2014
- Orientation Session for Members of the World Heritage Committee 31-Jan-2013-31-Jan-2013
- 36th session of the World Heritage Committee 24-Jun-2012-06-Jul-2012
- 18th session of the General Assembly of States Parties to the World Heritage Convention and presentation of candidates for election of Committee members 07-Nov-2011-09-Nov-2011
- 35th Session of the World Heritage Committee 19-Jun-2011-29-Jun-2011
- 34th session of the Committee 25-Jul-2010-03-Aug-2010