Décision : CONF 003 XII.3
[Uniquement en anglais] Requests for International Assistance: Technical Cooperation - Cultural heritage
The Committee noted that the Bureau in examining the ten technical cooperation requests for cultural properties, two submitted by ICCROM and eight by States Parties, gave priority to activities for properties on the List of World Heritage in Danger and to those having a catalytic affect rather than for the funding of specific restoration works, in accordance with previous decisions taken by the Committee.
Reauests approved by the Bureau:
- The Historic Town of Ouro Preto (Brazil) - US$20,000
The Bureau approved US$20,000 out of the total amount of US$50,000, subject to obtaining assurance that the balance of US$30,000 for the construction of five houses for the relocation of the affected inhabitants is funded by other sources.
- ICCROM Technical Assistance - US$25,000
The Bureau approved this financial support to the ICCROM Technical Assistance Programme to supply institutions of State Parties, free of charge, with basic documentation, scientific and didactic equipment and conservation products.
- Printing of Management Guidelines for World Cultural Heritage Sites, by B.M. Feilden and J. Jokilehto - US$6,900
The Bureau approved this request to support the printing cost of the French-language edition of this publication if other sources, notably of the Fra-ncophone community cannot be identified.
Requests approved by the Committee:
The Committee approved the following requests on the basis of the recommendations of the Bureau:
- Old City of Dubrovnik (Croatia) - US$50,000
The Committee approved the full requested amount of US$ 50,000 for, inter alia, the purchase of equipment for the documentation centre; expertise for the development of a tourism development plan; promotional and educational material and activities on World Heritage in Dubrovnik.
- Wieliczka Salt Mine (Poland) - US$100,000
The Committee approved this request for US$100,000 to purchase the dehumidifying equipment required for the preservation of the salt sculptures of this World Heritage Site in Danger.
- Kathmandu Valley (Nepal) - US$52,000
The Committee approved the requested US$ 52,000 for the deployment of a UNESCO international technical advisor for 6 months in view of the serious and urgent need for strengthen measures to redress the present state of conservation of the Kathmandu Valley.
- The Complex of the Hue Monuments (Vietnam) - US$108,000
(Upgrading of the Hue Conservation Laboratory)
The Committee approved the amount of US$108,000 to meet the cost of laboratory equipment purchase (US$ 72,700) and related short-term training to enable the Hue authorities to have the basic facilities to overcome the present obstacles to conservation. The World Heritage Centre should, however, be consulted on the list of equipment, and approve the detailed specification and cost estimate; as well as the selection of the international experts.
- Historic Areas of Istanbul (Turkey) - US$80,000
(Restoration of the mosaics of Hagia-Sophia)
The Committee approved an amount of $80,000 to complete the final phase of this restoration project.
Requests not approved by the Committee:
- Ngorongoro Conservation Area (United Republic of Tanzania)
(International Conference on Ngorongoro, in Bellagio, Italy)
The Committee endorsed the Bureau's view not to approve this request although the value of the proposed international conference in Italy for the Tanzanian conservators is recognized, and in view of the fact that other funding sources are available for this Conference at the Rockefeller Foundation in Italy.
- Palmyra (Syrian Arab Republic)
The Committee did not approve this request for US$90,000 but suggested that the Syrian authorities submit an alternative request to prepare a global and coherent conservation programme for this site in accordance with the recommendations of the UNESCO expert mission which took place in December 1993.
Assistance Internationale (10)
- Cleaning and consolidation works on the slopes of the hill above the Casa de Misericordia at Ouro Preto (1994 / Brésil)
- Contribution to the establishment of a documentation centre in Dubrovnik (1994 / Croatie)
- Costs of a resident International Technical Advisor for 6 months to assist with the effective implementation of national legislation relating to the preservation of the Kathmandu Valley (1994 / Népal)
- Purchase of the dehumidifying equipment for Wieliczka Salt Mines (1994 / Pologne)
- New laboratory equipment and on-the-job training activities for the Hue Conservation Centre (1994 / Viet Nam)
- ICCROM Technical Assistance Programme (1994 / )
- French Edition of Management Guidelines for World Cultural Heritage sites, by B.M. Feilden and J. Jokilehto (1994 / )
- International Conference on Ngorongoro, in Bellagio, Italy (1994 / République-Unie de Tanzanie)
- Historic Areas of Istanbul - Restoration of the mosaics of Hagia-Sophia (1994 / Turquie)
- Palmyra: topographical and architectural studies to be followed by restoration works at the Temple of Bel and Agora annex (1994 / République arabe syrienne)