First phase of Aksum Obelisk re-installation successfully completed
The first phase of the re-installation works of the Aksum Obelisk, also known as Stele 2, in its original location at the World Heritage site in Aksum, Ethiopia was completed on 12 June 2008. The first of three blocks of the stele, which stands 24.3 metres high and weighs 152 tons, was successfully and smoothly mounted.
The Aksum Obelisk re-installation project, funded by the Italian Government and conducted by UNESCO contractor Croci Associati, is using an innovative high-technology approach, and its implementation represents a technical feat of colossal scale. The project has been prepared to ensure a zero-risk approach for the monument and the surrounding site. The successful mounting of the first block is an extremely important step confirming the soundness of the project's complex design as well as the skills of the UNESCO contractors, the construction company Lattanzi and the supervision team (Croci Associati, SPC Engineering, and MH Engineering).
The remaining two blocks will be reinstalled from 16 to 31 July 2008, one year after the start of this exceptional project.
World Heritage Properties (1)
States Parties (1)
Other news (12)
- Exhibition of Aksum Obelisk Re-installation opens in Rome Thursday, November 26, 2009
- Director-General inaugurates exhibition celebrating re-installation of the Aksum Obelisk Thursday, April 23, 2009
- UNESCO presents exhibition on reconstruction of Aksum obelisk Monday, April 20, 2009
- Inauguration Ceremony for the Aksum Obelisk Friday, September 5, 2008
- Mission accomplished: Aksum Obelisk successfully reinstalled Friday, August 1, 2008
- Second block of Aksum Obelisk successfully re-installed Monday, July 28, 2008
- Re-installation of Aksum Obelisk to begin soon Friday, May 23, 2008
- UNESCO launches the re-erection project of the Aksum Obelisk Tuesday, June 19, 2007
- UNESCO Presents Design for Reinstallation of Aksum Obelisk Thursday, February 16, 2006
- Major archaeological discoveries in Aksum Monday, April 25, 2005
- Aksum obelisk arrives in Ethiopia Wednesday, April 20, 2005
- Aksum obelisk returns to Ethiopia: UNESCO to handle its reintegration into the World Heritage site Thursday, March 17, 2005