Boca De Nigua Sugar Mill (#) [Ruta de Los Ingenios]
Delegacion Permanente de la Republica Dominicana ante la UNESCO
Le Secrétariat de l’UNESCO et le Centre du patrimoine mondial ne garantissent pas l’exactitude et la fiabilité des avis, opinions, déclarations et autres informations ou documentations fournis au Secrétariat de l’UNESCO et au Centre du patrimoine mondial par les Etats Parties à la Convention concernant la protection du patrimoine mondial, culturel et naturel.
La publication de tels avis, opinions, déclarations, informations ou documentations sur le site internet et/ou dans les documents de travail du Centre du patrimoine mondial n’implique nullement l’expression d’une quelconque opinion de la part du Secrétariat de l’UNESCO ou du Centre du patrimoine mondial concernant le statut juridique de tout pays, territoire, ville ou région, ou de leurs autorités, ou le tracé de leurs frontières.
Les noms des biens figurent dans la langue dans laquelle les Etats parties les ont soumis.
A monument qualified like a sugar mill complex and the only building with big proportions, constructed before 1870 in the Spanish side of the island. Is in good condition the highest part of the sugar mill, caldroun and the furnaces. Its architectural form follows the example of the great Cuban and Haitian sugar mills, built at the end of the century XVIII. Besides, this building has a warehouse, a guard house and a few distillery houses. History And Development Its original owner was the spanish Marquee De Aranda but he never came to Santo Domingo. The Sugar Refinery then was managed by Juan Bautista Ollarazaba a famous person with the slave's rebellion circa 1884, which brought as consequence the burning of every houses and sugar cane plantations, this riot was formed primarily by free Haitians. Later the leaders of this incident were hanged "in situ" by Don Jose Cabrera. In 1801 when the haitians were ruling the whole island the place was visited by the General Chief Toussaint Louverture who was making the first steps to take the keys of Santo Doming City. The Haitian chief accused Don Juan Baustista Ollarazaba of negligency and cowarness because he had taken all the slaves from the plantation to renegociate them in Venezuela, a land where the slavery trade was still active. Since that time, the Nigua Sugar Mill was abandoned. During the tirany these places were owned by the tirant Rafael Leonidas Trujillo Molina, under the name of Hacienda Nigua (Nigua Cattle Ranch), and then in 1978 began the first studies of restoration by the engineer Baez Lopez-Penha.