Within the framework of the World Heritage Committee’s Decision concerning the state of conservation of the World Heritage property Mount Athos (Decision 36COM7B.38, St. Petersburg, 2012) and the Initiative on Heritage of Religious Interest, the Hellenic Ministry of Culture and Sports, in cooperation with the Mount Athos Holy Community and in coordination with the UNESCO World Heritage Centre, ICOMOS and IUCN, organizes the Multidisciplinary Workshop on the Strategic Framework for the Conservation and Management of the Mount Athos Cultural and Natural Heritage. The Workshop will be held in Thessaloniki, Greece, from 29 to 30 August 2013.
The Workshop’s main objective is to shape the approach to development of the management framework, and thus contribute, inter alia, to the discussion on appropriate management mechanisms concerning World Heritage properties of religious interest addressed by Committee Decision 35 COM 5A adopted at its 35th session.
The meeting will also contribute to strengthen the dialogue between all stakeholders, so as firstly, to promote understanding and increase awareness on issues related to World Heritage and secondly, to provide information about the specific character of a living religious community.
- World Heritage Convention
- The Operational Guidelines for the Implementation of the World Heritage Convention
- Initiative on Heritage of Religious Interest
- Decision 36COM 5A.1 of the World Heritage Committee adopted at its 36th session (St Petersburg, 2012)
- Decision 36COM 7B.38 of the World Heritage Committee adopted at its 36th session (St Petersburg, 2012)
- Decision 35COM 5A of the World Heritage Committee adopted at its 35th session (UNESCO, 2011)
- Report of the International Seminar on the Role of Religious Communities in the Management of World Heritage
- Kyiv Statement on the protection of religious properties within the framework of the World Heritage Convention
- Report of the International Seminar for religious representatives involved in the management and use of the World Heritage properties
- Report of the International World Heritage Expert meeting on Visual Integrity
- Report of the International Expert Meeting on Integrity for Cultural Heritage
- ICOMOS Guidance on Heritage Impact Assessments for Cultural World Heritage Properties
- Resource Manual: Managing Natural World Heritage
- UNESCO MAB/IUCN Guidelines for the Conservation and Management of Sacred Natural Sites
- ICCROM Conservation Study 3, 2003 Forum on the conservation of Living Religious Heritage
- Québec Declaration on the Preservation of the Spirit of Place, Adopted at 16th ICOMOS General Assembly, Québec, Canada, October 4th 2008