State of Conservation (SOC)
Historical Monuments of Mtskheta (2002)
UNESCO Extra-Budgetary Funds
International Assistance granted to the property
Total Amount Ap proved:70,500USD
|1999|| Study and Development of the Mtskheta Heritage and Tourist Master ...
Reapproval: 05 Feb, 2001 (n°1374 - 35,000 USD)
|1999||Implementation of the Masterplan for Mtskheta, Georgia||19,000 USD|
|1997||Launching of a rehabilitation programme for Mtskheta||16,500 USD|
2001: UNESCO/ICOMOS mission for the UNDP-SPPD project
Factors* affecting the property identified in previous reports
- Critical conditions of particularly two archaeological sites (issue resolved)
- Buildings constructed on the Samtavros Veli site
- Degradation and construction projects at Svetitskhoveli Cathedral
Current conservation issues
At the time of the preparation of this document no report from the authorities had been received.
The World Heritage Committee,
Link to the decision
1. Strongly urges the State Party of Georgia to provide before the 1 September 2002, a report on the on-going constructions and degradations at the site;
2. Requests the Government authorities to ensure that all these works are halted and that no further restoration works or constructions in close proximity to the Cathedral be undertaken;3. Requests that the authorities invite an UNESCO-ICOMOS mission to the site in the near future and that a report be presented for examination at its 27th session in June/July 2003.
The Committee may wish to adopt the following decision:
“The Committee strongly urges the State Party of Georgia to provide a report before the 1 September 2002 on the on-going constructions and degradations at the site, and requests the Government authorities to ensure that all these works are halted and that no further restoration works or constructions in close proximity to the Cathedral be undertaken. It requests that the authorities invite an UNESCO-ICOMOS to the site in the near future and that a report be presented to the 27th session of the Bureau in April 2003.”
View inscribed site documents, nomination file, reports, decisions, ...
SOC Reports2013 2012 2011 2010 2009 2008 2007 2005 2004 2003 2002 2001 1999
Detailed List of SOC reports
Inscription on the Danger ListYear: 2009
Threats to the Site:
a) Lack of a management mechanism;
b) Privatisation of surrounding land;
c) Loss of authenticity of some components due to restoration works conducted with unacceptable methods
The threats indicated are listed in alphabetical order; their order does not constitute a classification according to the importance of their impact on the property.
Furthermore, they are presented irrespective of the type of threat faced by the property, i.e. with specific and proven imminent danger (“ascertained danger”) or with threats which could have deleterious effects on the property’s Outstanding Universal Value (“potential danger”).