State of Conservation (SOC)
Lorentz National Park (2002)
UNESCO Extra-Budgetary Funds
International Assistance granted to the property
Total Amount Ap proved:41,400USD
|2001||Strategic Planning for the Conservation and Effective Management ...||30,000 USD|
|1996||Nomination file for Lorentz National Reserve||11,400 USD|
Factors* affecting the property identified in previous reports
- Management infrastructure development within the constraints imposed by security risks in the area (issue resolved)
- Disposal of mine tailings (issue resolved)
- Strategic planning and promoting Government-NGO-industry co-operation for conservation
Current conservation issues
The State Party, by letter of 13 March 2002, provided the following information: (a) the Government of Indonesia has continued to co-ordinate with the WWF Indonesia-Sahul Programme field data gathering for strategic planning purposes; (b) problems related to the overlap of the Park borders with the concession of the Conoco Enterprise Ltd remain and discussions between the Ministry of Forestry, Ministry of Energy and Minerals and Conoco continue in an effort to seek a resolution of the matter; and (c) with regard to the proposed UNESCO/IUCN monitoring mission to the site in December 2002, recommended by the Committee at the time of inscription of the site in 1999, the Government of Indonesia will inform the Centre of the appropriate time for such a visit.
The World Heritage Committee,
Link to the decision
1. Invites the State Party to determine, as soon as possible, the appropriate time for a UNESCO/IUCN mission to the site, and inform the Centre and IUCN well in advance of the date so that the mission can be planned in order to address all issues relevant to strengthening the state of conservation of this site;
2. Requests the State Party to elaborate on the continuing problems with the Park border and concession in advance of the mission;3. Recommends that a detailed report on the mission be presented to its 27th session in June/July 2003.
The Committee may wish to adopt the following decision:
“The Committee invites the State Party to determine the appropriate time for the mission as soon as possible and inform the Centre and IUCN well in advance of the date so that the mission can be planned to address all issues relevant to the strengthening of the state of conservation of this site. The Committee requests the State Party to elaborate on the continuing problems with the Park border and concession in advance of the mission. The Committee recommends that a detailed report on the mission be presented to the 27th session of the Committee in June 2003."
Lorentz National Park
View inscribed site documents, nomination file, reports, decisions, ...
SOC Reports2013 2011 2010 2008 2007 2006 2005 2004 2003 2002 2001 2000
Detailed List of SOC reports
The threats indicated are listed in alphabetical order; their order does not constitute a classification according to the importance of their impact on the property.
Furthermore, they are presented irrespective of the type of threat faced by the property, i.e. with specific and proven imminent danger (“ascertained danger”) or with threats which could have deleterious effects on the property’s Outstanding Universal Value (“potential danger”).