UNESCO Director-General Irina Bokova in Mali to spearhead UNESCO’s commitment to safeguard and rebuild Mali’s extraordinary cultural heritage
The Director-General is visiting Mali today with French President François Hollande, with the goal to launch the assessment of the state of Mali’s cultural heritage and manuscripts after the recent fighting and tensions and to define a plan of action with the Government of Mali that will guide UNESCO’s support to its reconstruction and safeguarding.
Irina Bokova will be meeting with the Malian authorities in Bamako and in Timbuktu to kick-start a UNESCO programme of assistance to rebuild Mali’s cultural heritage and to safeguard its documentary heritage.
“At this moment, we must act quickly to safeguard and rebuild this country’s outstanding cultural heritage – this is essential for national unity and reconciliation. This heritage is a source of strength and confidence for the people of Mali as they consolidate the foundations of peace,” said the Director-General.
World Heritage Properties (4)
States Parties (1)
Other news (12)
- UNESCO expert mission evaluates damage to Mali’s cultural heritage Sunday, June 9, 2013
- International experts and decision makers gathered at UNESCO adopt Action Plan for Mali’s cultural heritage and manuscripts Tuesday, February 19, 2013
- UNESCO convenes international experts meeting for the safeguarding of Malian cultural heritage Wednesday, February 13, 2013
- UNESCO has developed cultural heritage maps and a “Heritage Passport” to help protect Mali’s cultural heritage Monday, February 4, 2013
- Director-General visits Mali with French President François Hollande Sunday, February 3, 2013
- UNESCO determined to help Mali restore and rebuild its cultural heritage Wednesday, January 30, 2013
- The Director-General of UNESCO urges military forces to protect cultural sites in Mali during air raids and ground interventions Monday, January 14, 2013
- Creation of a Special Fund for the Safeguarding of Mali’s World Heritage sites Wednesday, July 25, 2012
- End of 36th session of the World Heritage Committee marked by concern for World Heritage sites in Mali Friday, July 6, 2012
- World Heritage Committee calls for end to destruction of Mali’s heritage and adopts decision for its support Tuesday, July 3, 2012
- Heritage sites in northern Mali placed on List of World Heritage in Danger Thursday, June 28, 2012
- Government of Mali and UNESCO move to protect Timbuktu and other heritage sites in the north of Mali Thursday, May 24, 2012
See Also (1)
Saturday, February 2, 2013