Second block of Aksum Obelisk successfully re-installed
In the framework of the Aksum Obelisk reinstallation project funded by Italy, the second block of the Aksum Obelisk was successfully installed on 25 July 2008.
The first phase of the re-installation works of the Aksum Obelisk, also known as Stele 2, in its original location at the World Heritage site in Aksum, Ethiopia was completed on 12 June 2008. The first and second of three blocks of the stele, which stands 24.3 metres high and weighs 152 tons, have been successfully and smoothly mounted.
Placement of the third and final block will begin 30 July and be completed around 5 August.
World Heritage Properties (1)
Other news (9)
- Exhibition of Aksum Obelisk Re-installation opens in Rome Thursday, November 26, 2009
- Director-General inaugurates exhibition celebrating re-installation of the Aksum Obelisk Thursday, April 23, 2009
- UNESCO presents exhibition on reconstruction of Aksum obelisk Monday, April 20, 2009
- Inauguration Ceremony for the Aksum Obelisk Friday, September 5, 2008
- Mission accomplished: Aksum Obelisk successfully reinstalled Friday, August 1, 2008
- First phase of Aksum Obelisk re-installation successfully completed Monday, June 23, 2008
- Re-installation of Aksum Obelisk to begin soon Friday, May 23, 2008
- UNESCO launches the re-erection project of the Aksum Obelisk Tuesday, June 19, 2007
- UNESCO Presents Design for Reinstallation of Aksum Obelisk Thursday, February 16, 2006
Monday, July 28, 2008