CONF 202 21B.62
Lumbini, the Birthplace of the Lord Buddha (Nepal)
1. Having examined the report on the state of conservation of the property and new information provided by the Centre, the State Party and ICOMOS;
2. Recognizes the need for presenting this pilgrimage centre in an appropriate manner;
3. Expresses grave concern over the intrusive and heavy construction of the new Maya Devi Temple recently built over the archaeological remains within the core zone of Lumbini in spite of the existence of archaeological deposits in the immediate vicinity of the already exposed archaeological remains of the Maya Devi Temple;
4. Considering that a UNESCO reactive monitoring mission, originally organized to assist the authorities in finalizing the design of the Maya Devi Temple shelter, was undertaken between 25 June - 2 July 2002;
5. Decides to examine further information and recommendations of this mission at its 27th session;
6. Requests the State Party in the interim period to provide information concerning the existing conservation codes applicable to this property and management mechanisms that ensure the protection of the World Heritage values of the property;7. Requests that a report on the state of conservation of the property be submitted by 1 February 2003 for examination at its 27th session in June/July 2003.