State of Conservation (Selous Game Reserve)
The World Heritage Committee,
1. Having examined Document WHC-06/30.COM/7B,
2. Notes that the State Party has not responded to the previous request for information about a number of threats to the property;
3. Regrets that financial resources available from the income retention scheme from commercial hunting have decreased significantly in recent years and recommends that the State Party seek independent financial advice on the management of this income retention scheme to support conservation and management of the property;
4. Requests the State Party to commission independent EIAs of all proposed mineral mining and dam development activities that could potentially affect the integrity of the World Heritage property;
5. Also requests the State Party to invite a joint World Heritage Centre/IUCN mission to assess the state of conservation of the property, in particular the implementation of the management plan and EIAs as well as the impacts of poaching, prospecting and mining activities;
6. Further requests the State Party to provide the World Heritage Centre with a detailed report by 1 February 2007 on the state of conservation of the property, in particular the measures taken to address key threats to the property and the progress made with the management plan and the EIAs, for examination by the Committee at its 31st session in 2007.