Fortress of S. Francisco do Penedo
Ministerio da CulturaInstituto Nacional do Patrimonio Cultural
The Secretariat of the United Nations Educational Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) and the World Heritage Centre do not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any advice, opinion, statement or other information or documentation provided by the States Parties to the World Heritage Convention to the Secretariat of UNESCO or to the World Heritage Centre.
The publication of any such advice, opinion, statement or other information documentation on the World Heritage Centre’s website and/or on working documents also does not imply the expression of any opinion whatsoever on the part of the Secretariat of UNESCO or of the World Heritage Centre concerning the legal status of any country, territory, city or area or of its boundaries.
Property names are listed in the language in which they have been submitted by the State Party
In the XVII Century, by order of the King of Spain, Filipe the III was created a Commission to study how to fortify Luanda.
One of the expected buildings to protect the city of Luanda, was the Fortress of Penedo. So, the Fortress would come to guarantee the safety of European occupation, giving resistance to the network of the traffic of the slaves, who were sent to America, from the harbour of Luanda.
The Fortress of Penedo was, since its first building, one of the keys of the Luanda harbour protection. And secretly it cantoned the slaves and assured their sending to the lands of "New World" (America).
The new fortress was built between 1765 and 1766, and was also used as Prison of the Portuguese Political Police.
This Fortress is badly preserved due to its age and its activity as a Prison.
The responsibility for its conservation and preservation concerns the Ministry of Culture.