Palais de la Culture, ancien siège du Ministère de l'Education et de la Santé, Rio de Janeiro
IPHAN / MINC
Rio de Janeiro
The Secretariat of the United Nations Educational Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) and the World Heritage Centre do not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any advice, opinion, statement or other information or documentation provided by the States Parties to the World Heritage Convention to the Secretariat of UNESCO or to the World Heritage Centre.
The publication of any such advice, opinion, statement or other information documentation on the World Heritage Centre’s website and/or on working documents also does not imply the expression of any opinion whatsoever on the part of the Secretariat of UNESCO or of the World Heritage Centre concerning the legal status of any country, territory, city or area or of its boundaries.
Property names are listed in the language in which they have been submitted by the State Party
This edifice, built between 1937 and 1945, was designed by a team of architects according to the original plans by Le Corbusier. The team consisted of L.Costa, O.Niemeyer, A.E.Reidy, C.Leao, J.M.Moreira and E.Vasconcellos. The gardens were designed by B.Marx, and the glazed tiles of the facade as well as the mural paintings decorating the interior are by C.Portinari. This building was the first deliberate attempt at modern Brazilian architecture and had a decisive influence on all subsequent major developments in architecture in Brazil.