English Français
Help preserve sites now!

El-Gendi Fortress

Date of Submission: 01/11/1994
Category: Cultural
Submitted by:
Egyptian Antiquities Organization
Coordinates: South Sinai
Ref.: 193
Export
Word File
Disclaimer

The Secretariat of the United Nations Educational Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) and the World Heritage Centre do not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any advice, opinion, statement or other information or documentation provided by the States Parties to the World Heritage Convention to the Secretariat of UNESCO or to the World Heritage Centre.

The publication of any such advice, opinion, statement or other information documentation on the World Heritage Centre’s website and/or on working documents also does not imply the expression of any opinion whatsoever on the part of the Secretariat of UNESCO or of the World Heritage Centre concerning the legal status of any country, territory, city or area or of its boundaries.

Property names are listed in the language in which they have been submitted by the State Party

Description

Salah El-Din ordered the construction of Qulot-El-Gendi in south sinai in 1183 A.D. It controls the pilgrim route between Cairo to Aqaba conaction with pharaoh fortress. It constraction on the top of El Gendi hill its height 2150m of the sea level. It surrounds a strong wall with many towers, two mosques, cisterns and provisions stores, foundation inscription, soldiers rooms and deep ditch surround the hill.