English Français

State Stud-Farm Estate of Mezöhegyes

Date of Submission: 28/12/2000
Criteria: (iii)(iv)
Category: Cultural
Submitted by:
Hungarian Min. of Cultural HeritageSecretariat of the Hungarian Committee of the World Heritage.
Coordinates: N46 21E38 29
Ref.: 1500
Export
Word File Word File
Disclaimer

The Tentative Lists of States Parties are published by the World Heritage Centre at its website and/or in working documents in order to ensure transparency, access to information and to facilitate harmonization of Tentative Lists at regional and thematic levels.

The sole responsibility for the content of each Tentative List lies with the State Party concerned. The publication of the Tentative Lists does not imply the expression of any opinion whatsoever of the World Heritage Committee or of the World Heritage Centre or of the Secretariat of UNESCO concerning the legal status of any country, territory, city or area or of its boundaries.

Property names are listed in the language in which they have been submitted by the State Party

Description

The Stud-farm Institute, later Stud-farm Estate founded by Emperor Joseph II. in 1784 has been a major centre and organisational example of the highest standard horse-breeding and animal husbandry.

The first buildings of the estate were built in a short time. Eventually they developed into a unique architectural and agricultural complex. Besides the value of the species of horses (Nonius breed, Gidran, Mezohegyes halfbred) bred there, the architecture of the complex is also of exceeding value.

The layout of the large-scale farm which incorporates all the complementary branches necessary in horse-breeding as well as the urban appearance of the headquarters of this institution of military character is an original, definitive landscape-forming construction. Its most important architectural elements: old stud-farm yard 1785, two horse-herder cottages 1785, two old barracks 1786, bailiffs’ houses, horse-herders’ inn 1800, management building 1786, glass granary; in Újmezohegyes: construction stores 1860-70, new barracks 1790, miller quarters – dry mills 1790, bailiffs’ house. Three stud yards, headquarters of commander, covered riding-hall, North and South arches, gates, fence posts, animal hospital, oat storage towers, granaries, barns and several more buildings and structures.

The landscape has been reshaped by forest plantations and farm buildings.