jump to the content

White Mosque in Ramle

Date of Submission: 30/06/2000
Criteria: (ii)(iv)
Category: Cultural
Submitted by:
Delegation Permanente d'Israel aupres de l'UNESCO
Coordinates: Lat. 31°56' N / 34°52' E
Ref.: 1482
Export
Word File
Disclaimer

The Secretariat of the United Nations Educational Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) and the World Heritage Centre do not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any advice, opinion, statement or other information or documentation provided by the States Parties to the World Heritage Convention to the Secretariat of UNESCO or to the World Heritage Centre.

The publication of any such advice, opinion, statement or other information documentation on the World Heritage Centre’s website and/or on working documents also does not imply the expression of any opinion whatsoever on the part of the Secretariat of UNESCO or of the World Heritage Centre concerning the legal status of any country, territory, city or area or of its boundaries.

Property names are listed in the language in which they have been submitted by the State Party

Description

Ramle, from the Arabic for "sand", probably referring to the sand dunes on which the city was built, was founded in the early eighth century by the Umayyad caliph Suleiman ib 'Abd el-Malik, as the first Islamic city, and it now stands in a town with a mixed population of Muslims, Jews and Christians. Through the ages, Ramle has been an important administrative centre to the side of the Via Maris connecting to Jerusalem. With the city's founding, many installations and buildings, such as cisterns, a drainage channel, the House of Dyers, and the mosque were erected. Most of the Umayyad city is now covered by later construction. Only in the Umayyad mosque, called the White Mosque, were several remains of that period preserved as well as a series of subterranean vaults and cisterns. Its square minaret with stone elevations marked by recessed, arched windows, which was rebuilt by the Mamelukes, is the prominent structure of medieval Ramle. Near the tower is the tomb of Nebi Salib, which is a regular pilgrimage site, and a Muslim cemetery still in use. Excavations at the White Mosque were conducted in 1949 on behalf of the Ministry of Religious Affairs and Israel Department of Antiquities and Museums. The excavations attempted to ascertain which buildings, both above ground and subterranean, belonged to the original mosque enclosure. It was revealed that the mosque enclosure was built in the form of a quadrangle with its walls oriented to the cardinal points. It included the following structures: the mosque itself; two porticoes along the quadrangle's east and west walls; the north wall; the minaret; an unidentified building in the center to the area; and three subterranean cisterns. The Mosque also exemplifies distinct phases of renovation and construction at different historical points. The mosque was a broadhouse; the long wall (the qibla) faces Mecca, with the mihrab in the center of the real wall. However, the roof apparently belongs to a later phase of renovation, carried out in the Ayyubid period. Excavation disclosed that the right half of the mosque deviates some 6 degrees north of the traditional eastwest orientation. Both the writings of the Arab geographers and the evidence uncovered in the excavations indicate that the mosque's building complex was constructed in three main stages. The first stage is dated to the period of the Umayyads, when the enclosure was erected in its original form. Of the earliest buildings there remains only the left side of the mosque (oriented east-west), the east wall with the portico, the north wall (aside from the minaret), and the three subterranean cisterns. The construction of the right side of the mosque, the western enclosure wall and the central ablutions building are attributed to the second phase, in the time of Saladin. Found in the excavations were two inscriptions that mention repairs made to the mosque. The first inscription relates that Sultan Baybars built a dome over the minaret and added a door to the mosque. The second inscription states that in 1408 CE Seif ed-Din Baighut ez-Zahiri had the walls of the southern cistern coated with plaster. The third phase included the minaret, the portico east of the minaret, and two halls attached to the eastern wall, outside the area of the mosque enclosure.