Degania & Nahalal
Delegation Permanente d'Israel aupres de l'UNESCO
The Secretariat of the United Nations Educational Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) and the World Heritage Centre do not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any advice, opinion, statement or other information or documentation provided by the States Parties to the World Heritage Convention to the Secretariat of UNESCO or to the World Heritage Centre.
The publication of any such advice, opinion, statement or other information documentation on the World Heritage Centre’s website and/or on working documents also does not imply the expression of any opinion whatsoever on the part of the Secretariat of UNESCO or of the World Heritage Centre concerning the legal status of any country, territory, city or area or of its boundaries.
Property names are listed in the language in which they have been submitted by the State Party
These two settlements represent the establishment of the first kibbutz and moshav with designs and physical form representing the ideological-social patterns of the late 19th and early 20th century. These patterns are a direct result of ideas prepared since Utopia written by Thomas Moore written in 1516. Degania The kibbutz movement is one of the modern manifestations of socialist thinking of the past 200 years, developed in the work of Marx and Engel in The Communist Manifesto of 1848. The original buildings of the kibbutz date from 1910 and were planned in an egalitarian layout, and buildings around a central courtyard including the dining room, showers and work spaces. Being a farming community the landmark elements included the water tower and the grain silo. The public buildings, including the childrens' house, kindergarten and school, which was designed by Richard Kaufman helped to explain the social dilemmas of education in the kibbutz. Nahalal The moshav represents a form of cooperative settlement whereby the individual manages his own farm while the public facilities are shared. This developed a unique form by Architect Richard Kaufman in 1921. This design takes the form of a wheel where the hub contains the main community buildings and the spokes are the farming units. These forms found their history in idealistic concepts as presented by Ebenezer Howard and as found in other indigenous farming and fishing villages around the world. Examples like Mexcaltitan, Palmanova or Pbilippeville, Hamina, Karlsruhe show similar patterns developed at Nahalal.