State of Conservation (SOC)
Talamanca Range-La Amistad Reserves / La Amistad National Park (2003)
UNESCO Extra-Budgetary Funds
International Assistance granted to the property
Total Amount Ap proved:276,350USD
|1997|| Technical assistance for Talamanca-La Amistad (NOT IMPLEMENTED)
Reapproval: 08 Apr, 1998 (n°925 - 19,900 USD)
|1993||Technical assistance for La Amistad World Heritage site||0 USD|
|1992||Repair of damage to housing of staff at Talamanca -La Amistad, ...||10,000 USD|
|1990||La Amistad: construction of 3 guard posts, purchase of field ...||50,000 USD|
|1990||Various conservation and training activities for La Amistad||50,000 USD|
|1988||Equipment and financial contribution for strengthening the ...||30,000 USD|
|1985||Improvement of infrastructure, implementation of the management ...||40,000 USD|
|1985||Strengthening the protection and management of Talamanca-La ...||32,150 USD|
|1983||Training programme, improvement of infrastructures and equipment ...||30,000 USD|
|1982||In situ training of wardens of La Amistad Reserve||14,300 USD|
Factors* affecting the property identified in previous reports
- Possible oil exploitation (issue resolved);
- Road construction proposal (issue resolved);
- Need to review the boundaries (issue resolved).
Current conservation issues
The WHC received information from the Permanent Delegation of Panama in December 2002 regarding a proposed road to be constructed within the Volcan Baru area, adjacent to the La Amistad World Heritage site, and regarding illegal logging taking place within the site boundaries. The Centre sent a letter dated 6 February 2003 to the Panamanian authorities requesting information on the actions the government may be taking to deal with the aforementioned activities. To date, no response has been received.
Link to the decision
Le Comité du patrimoine mondial ,
1. Demande à l'Etat partie du Panama de rendre compte au Centre du patrimoine mondial et à l'UICN d'ici le 1er février 2004 des mesures prises en ce qui concerne la déforestation illégale et la proposition de construction d'une route afin que le Comité du patrimoine mondial puisse examiner l'état de conservation du bien à sa 28e session, en 2004.
 Décision adoptée sans discussion
Draft Decision: 27 COM 7 (b) 24
The World Heritage Committee,
1. Requests the State Party to report to the WHC and IUCN by 1 February 2004 on actions taken to deal with these activities for review by its 28th session.
View inscribed site documents, nomination file, reports, decisions, ...
SOC Reports2013 2012 2011 2010 2009 2008 2007 2004 2003 1997 1993 1992 1991 1990
Detailed List of SOC reports
The threats indicated are listed in alphabetical order; their order does not constitute a classification according to the importance of their impact on the property.
Furthermore, they are presented irrespective of the type of threat faced by the property, i.e. with specific and proven imminent danger (“ascertained danger”) or with threats which could have deleterious effects on the property’s Outstanding Universal Value (“potential danger”).