Share your World Heritage story with the rest of the World!
Whether they are close to home or oceans away, World Heritage properties fill us with wonder and tell incredible stories of cultural and natural diversity on our planet.
#OurWorldHeritage is a social media campaign where people are invited to share their unique World Heritage stories and experiences with our global community!
How do I participate?
Post a photograph of yourself at a World Heritage site on Instagram using the tag #OurWorldHeritage and let us know why you enjoyed that experience in the description.
Follow UNESCO on Instagram to participate!
Top entries will have a chance to win a prize.
Read the terms and conditions
What are we looking for?
Entries to the competition will be evaluated
keeping in mind the following criteria
We are looking for creative stories and passionate storytellers!
We want to know what made this experience special or memorable for you!
We will also look at the composition and aesthetics of the photographs you submit.
Top 5 entries will receive a free UNESCO gift bag with a complimentary copy of the publication, World Heritage in Europe Today
Top 10 entries will be showcased on the World Heritage Centre’s website as part of the #OurWorldHeritage competition.
The competition will start on
18 February 2016 and
will end on
7 March 2016
The winners of the competition will be announced
by the end of April 2016
World Heritage in Europe Today, a UNESCO publication, brings together the experience, challenges and success stories of the thousands of people who are directly involved with World Heritage in Europe - a region which accounts for close to half of the World Heritage List.
Terms and Conditions
The following Terms and Conditions apply to the “Our World Heritage” photo contest, organized by UNESCO. By participating in the contest, the candidates accept the full terms and conditions contained herein.
This contest involves the submission of photographs that showcase the photographers personal experience at a World Heritage site, accompanied by a short description of around 50-100 words explaining why this experience is important for the photographer and what is his or her relationship with the depicted World Heritage property (Entries).
The description may be submitted in English and French only. The contest is free of charge.
- Any individual from any country can take part. Members of current UNESCO staff (either permanent or temporary) are not eligible to participate.
- The Entries are intended to present and promote the principles of the World Heritage Convention. This can include cultural, natural or mixed World Heritage properties (i.e. sites that are inscribed on the World Heritage list (http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/)).
- There are no limits on the number of Entries that each Entrant can submit. The photo can be prepared using a mobile phone or camera or any other device. Any expenses incurred during submission are to be borne by the Participant.
- There is no registration. Entry is determined by the posting of the photo with accompanying story on Instagram and tagging it with the #OurWorldHeritagehashtag. To be eligible, Instagram Entries MUST be set as ‘Public’ so that they are visible to UNESCO.
- Entries must be submitted to Facebook or Instagram before 7 March 2016 at 19:00 Paris time (GMT + 2). Entries published after the established deadline shall not be considered. UNESCO shall not bear any responsibility for late or lost Entries due to network failure or any other reason.
- Photos must be taken and the accompanying text written by the Entrant him or herself. Photos must have been taken in the last five years, i.e. after 7 March 2011 at a World Heritage property (http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/). Photos can be colour-corrected or have filters applied, but should not be digitally manipulated in terms of content and context.
- UNESCO reserves the right to exclude Entries that conflict with the principles of the UNESCO Constitution, that have obscene, violent, sexually explicit, sexist or racist content, or which violate any fundamental rights. The Entries must also not invade the rights of privacy of any person, living or deceased.
- By submitting their Entries via Instagram and using the #OurWorldHeritage hashtag, the Entrants accept that these Entries may be used by UNESCO as part of its communication tools. By participating, the Entrants declare their agreement that UNESCO may use the material in line with the UNESCO Open Access policy (http://www.unesco.org/open-access/terms-use-ccbysa-en).
- Entrants must possess the exclusive rights to Entries and are responsible for having obtained any necessary permission from the subjects shown on the Entries, in accordance with applicable law. UNESCO will not be responsible for any claims or complaints against infringement of rights or damages from third parties relating to the Entries, and the Entrant agrees to indemnify and hold UNESCO harmless in such cases.
- After 7 March 2016, the top fifteen (15) Entries will be contacted via the social media profile used to submit the Entry and asked to provide the following information:
- name of the photographer (Entrant);
- location of the photo;
- date of the photo;
- title; and
- full name of the person/people appearing on the photo, if applicable.
- Shortlisted Entrants will also be asked to sign a Creative Commons license that allows others to use and distribute the photos and texts. The Entrants will retain the right to use their images for whatever purpose they wish, and be attributed for any usage by UNESCO or any another party. Users not agreeing to this license, or failing to respond within one week to UNESCO’s message, will be excluded from the contest. For more information about the license, visit: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/2.5/.
- UNESCO will select the winning Entries on the basis of the following main criteria: (i) creativity, (ii) content (i.e. effectiveness of the entry as a tool to promote the values of World Heritage) (iii) composition (i.e. technical and artistic quality of content). The photo and text will be treated as equally important – a strong photo without accompanying text will not be considered.
- Top 5 entries will receive a free UNESCO gift bag with a complimentary copy of the Publication, World Heritage in Europe Today (approximate value 80 Euros). There will be no cash alternatives. Top 10 entries will be showcased on the World Heritage Centre’s website as part of the #OurWorldHeritage competition which UNESCO reserves the right to use in a manner it deems suitable, and published in World Heritage Review magazine at time of UNESCO’s choosing.
- UNESCO’s decision will be final. Any attempt by an Entrant to influence the result or subvert the contest will lead to immediate disqualification.
- Participation in this contest implies accepting all of the present Terms and Conditions without exception. UNESCO reserves the right to rule on any issue(s) not covered by these Terms and Conditions. In the event that an Entrant should disagree with any decision made by UNESCO, that Entrant will have the right to withdraw his or her Entry.
- UNESCO will inform the winners of the results of the challenge. If a winner is unable to be contacted after reasonable attempts have been made to do so, UNESCO reserves the right to select the next best Entry.
- UNESCO reserves the right to modify or cancel the contest or any of the arrangements, schedules, plans or other items directly or indirectly related to the contest, at any time and for any reason.
- Winners will be entirely responsible for any taxes or charges related to the receipt of any prize.
- Nothing herein shall constitute or be considered to be a limitation upon or a waiver of the privileges and immunities of UNESCO.
For any further information, email wh-OurWorldHeritage@unesco.org