Archaeological Site of Volubilis (Morocco)
The World Heritage Committee,
1. Having examined Document WHC-05/29 COM/7B.Rev,
2. Regrets that the State Party of Morocco did not inform the Committee, as is stipulated in paragraph 172 of the Operational Guidelines, of the major building projects undertaken on the site of Volubilis and of the destruction of the existing infrastructures ;
3. Expresses its concern over the scope and volume of the new buildings, as well as the visual impact of these developments that threaten to modify the surrounding landscape, as well as the approach and the understanding of visitors;
4. Urges the State Party to consider the modification of the project in accordance with the recommendations of the expert mission and to submit a revised version to the World Heritage Centre and to ICOMOS for study, accompanied by a management programme for the new installations in accordance with the management plan for the entire property;
5. Further urges the State Party to define a buffer zone to ensure the protection of the area around the archaeological site and to take into account the surrounding landscape in its entirety, in particular the agricultural plain to the west of the property, which is inseparable from its historical origins;
6. Requests the State Party to submit, by 1 February 2006, a report on progress made with the project and the recommendations of the present decision, for examination by the Committee at its 30th session (Vilnius, 2006).