Decision : 31 COM 7B.70
Sangiran Early Man Site (Indonesia)
The World Heritage Committee,
1. Having examined Document WHC-07/31.COM/7B.Add,
2. Expresses its appreciation to the State Party for organizing a Stakeholders Consultation Workshop on the Conservation and Management of Sangiran World Heritage property;
3. Noting however with concern the potential risks associated to the lack of a functioning site management authority as well as of appropriate land-use regulations, combined with on-going development projects within the property, which might have a negative impact on its heritage values,
4. Requests the State Party to review and strengthen the management of the property by:
a) Restructuring and reactivating the Coordinating Board for the Protection and Management of Sangiran World Heritage property;
b) Re-enforcing the effectiveness of the Master Plan in protecting the heritage values of the property, notably by developing appropriate land-use regulations and impact assessment procedures for proposed development projects; by considering the possible revision of the core zone, taking into account recent archaeological discoveries; and by defining an appropriate buffer zone for the property with the relative appropriate legal provisions and land-use regulation for consideration by the Committee;
c) Improving the presentation and interpretation of the property and its Museum, and developing awareness-raising programmes addressed to the community, and particularly the young people.
5. Also requests the State party to invite a joint World Heritage Centre/ICOMOS reactive monitoring mission to the property to assess its state of conservation and assist in addressing the issues raised in paragraph 4;
6. Further requests the State Party to submit to the World Heritage Centre, by 1 February 2008, a report on the state of conservation of the property, including information on the progress made in implementing the actions mentioned above, for examination by the Committee at its 32nd session in 2008.