The World Heritage Committee,
1. Having examined Document WHC-07/31.COM/7B.Add,
2. Recalling Decision 30 COM 7B.42 adopted at its 30th session (Vilnius, 2006),
3. Thanks the State Party for its report submitted in February 2007, particularly on the progress made in the creation of a cabinet for the restoration and conservation of the property, the rehabilitation of the San Sebastian Fortress, the development of the UNESCO-AfDB Programme, and the finalization of the conservation and management plan;
4. Notes the results of the ICOMOS reactive monitoring mission undertaken in February 2007 to the property;
5. Also notes with appreciation the technical support provided by UNESCO Maputo and the World Heritage Centre which enabled the rehabilitation project of the San Sebastian Fortress to progress significantly;
6. Congratulates the State Party for the satisfactory progress made in implementing the San Sebastian rehabilitation project funded by UCCLA, and the Governments of Japan and Portugal and requests that future funds be allocated to the completion of the restoration project and the conservation of the urban structure, and developing local capacity;
7. Reaffirms its great concern that the Island of Mozambique continues to be threatened by serious degradation of its historical monuments and urban structure and is in danger of losing its authenticity;
8. Further notes the lack of capacity to put in place mechanisms to ensure houses and town walls do not collapse, the lack of appropriate infrastructure for sewage and roads, the lack of a completed management plan, and the lack of a site manager;
9. Urges the State Party to give priority to the elaboration of an emergency Action Plan to address the most severe degradation and short-term remedial actions in collaboration with all the stakeholders;
10. Requests the World Heritage Centre to continue its technical back up of the rehabilitation project of the San Sebastian Fortress in order to ensure its full implementation;
11. Also urges the State Party to:
a) Complete the Management Plan as a basis for sustainable development of the property in collaboration with all the stakeholders and through a structured approach involving national and local authorities;
b) Produce a timetable for the completion of the restoration of the San Sebastian Fortress;
c) Raise awareness of the significance of the World Heritage site and the responsibilities arising from it.
12. Also requests the State Party to submit a report to the World Heritage Centre, by 1 February 2008, on the progress made in the implementation of the emergency Action Plan, on the rehabilitation of the San Sebastian Fortress, the completion of the management and conservation plan, and the necessary actions taken for an effective work of the Cabinet for Restoration and Conservation of the Island (GACIM) administrative structures, for consideration by the Committee at its 32nd session in 2008.