Decision : 31 COM 7B.49
Stone Town of Zanzibar (United Republic of Tanzania) (C 173 Rev)
The World Heritage Committee,
1. Having examined Document WHC-07/31.COM/7B,
2. Notes with concern the potential impact of the proposed European Commission-funded port development project on the state of conservation of the property and requests the World Heritage Centre to contact once again the European Commission at Commissioners level on this issue;
3. Calls on the State Party to provide details of the proposed Malindi Stone Town Port development project and its rationale, and to co-operate with ICOMOS and the World Heritage Centre to organise an independent environmental and cultural impact assessment study prior to any consideration or approval of the proposed project;
4. Calls on the Director-General of UNESCO to discuss with the World Bank, European Commission and other relevant bodies that projects in World Heritage sites should be developed in consultation with the World Heritage Centre.
5. Requests the State Party to invite a joint World Heritage Centre/ICOMOS reactive monitoring mission to assess the state of conservation of the property and factors affecting its Outstanding Universal Value, and progress made in implementing the impact assessment of the port project;
6. Requests the State Party to provide to the World Heritage Centre a progress report on the implementation of the above recommendations by 1 February 2008 for examination by the Committee at its 32nd session in 2008.