Launched within the framework of the World Heritage Education Programme, the World Heritage Volunteers projects mobilize and involve young people and youth organizations in World Heritage promotion and preservation.
The project is and jointly coordinated by the UNESCO World Heritage Centre and the Coordinating Committee for International Voluntary Service. World Heritage Volunteer projects integrate awareness raising campaigns with hands-on skills training on conservation and preservation techniques. It aims to provide opportunities and tools to sensitize about World Heritage; strengthening the sense of ownership of the local population of their local heritage.
The projects explore opportunities for a dynamic dialogue between the heritage & education experts and the volunteers towards developing synergies and partnerships.
From 2008 to 2010, 50 projects have been carried out in 18 countries with the involvement of 663 young volunteers.
For the WH Volunteers 2011, 28 youth action projects will be carried out in 17 countries from March to October 2011 .
Please find below the World Heritage Volunteers 2011 list and project descriptions:
- Kenya, GVDA, WHV - Masaai Mara, The African Great Rift Valley - The Masaai Mara, 1 - 28 July
- Kenya, KVDA, WHV-Mijikenda Kaya Forest, Sacred Mijikenda Kaya Forest, 10 - 31 July
- Malawi, AYISE, WHV - Lake Malawi, Lake Malawi National Park, 1 - 10 August
- Nigeria, VWAN, WHV - Idanre Hills, Oke Idanre (Idanre Hills), 5 - 21 August
- Togo, Amis de la Terre, WHV - Aného-Glidji, Agglomération Anéh-Glidji, 1 - 11 September
- Togo, FAGAD, WHV - Festember, Koutammakou, the Land of the Batammariba, 27 March - 10 April
- Togo, FAGAD, WHV - Koutammakou, Koutammakou, the Land of the Batammariba, 16 July - 5 August
- Zambia, YAZ, WHV - Victoria Falls, Mosi-oa-Tunya/Victoria Falls, 30 July - 13 August
- Mexico, Nataté, WHV - Copainala, Churches in the Zoque Province, Chiapas, 10 - 23 July
- Mexico, Nataté, WHV - Ocuituco, Earliest 16th Century Monasteries on the Slopes of Popocatepetl, 16 - 30 July
- Mexico, Nataté, WHV - Tlayacapan, Earliest 16th Century Monasteries on the Slopes of Popocatepetl, 17 - 30 July
- Mexico, Nataté, WHV - Xochicalco, Archaeological Zone Monuments of Xochicalco, 16 - 29 October
- Mexico, Nataté, WHV - Yecapixtla, Earliest 16th Century Monasteries on the Slopes of Popocatepetl, 17 - 31 July
- Mexico, Nataté, WHV - Zacualpan, Earliest 16th Century Monasteries on the Slopes of Popocatepetl, 25 September - 8 October
- Peru, BVBP, WHV - Chan Chan, Chan Chan Archaeological Zone, 1 - 22 July
- Peru, BVBP, WHV - Huascaran, Huascaran National Park, 5 - 26 July
- India, FSL India, WHV - Hampi, Group of Monuments at Hampi, 18 - 31 July
- Indonesia, IIWC, WHV - Borobudur, Borobudur Temple Compounds, 18 - 31 July
- Indonesia, Dejavato, WHV - Prambanan, Prambanan Temple Compounds, 16 - 30 July
- Republic of Korea, IWO, WHV - Jeju, Jeju Volcanic Island and Lava Tubes, 6 - 20 August
- Viet Nam, VPV, WHV - Hanoi, Central Sector of the Imperial Citadel of Thang Long - Hanoi, 10 - 22 October
- Armenia, HUJ, WHV - Geghard, Monastery of Geghard and the Upper Azat Valley, 29 June - 31 August
- Armenia, HUJ, WHV - Zvartnots, Cathedral and Churches of Echmiatsin and the Archaeological Site of Zvartnots, 29 June - 31 August
- Austria, Arbeitskreis Wachau, WHV - Wachau, Wachau Cultural Landscape, 10 - 23 July and 21 August - 3 September
- Estonia, EstYES, WHV - Tallinn, Historic Centre (Old Town) of Tallinn, 22 July - 7 August
- France, Concordia, WHV - Vanoise, Parc National de la Vanoise, 24 August - 7 September
- Russia, SFERA, WHV - Lake Baikal, Lake Baikal, 15 July - 15 August
- Ukraine, Alternative V, WHV - L'viv, L'viv - the Ensemble of the Historic Centre, 1 - 14 August
If you are interested in participating, please visit www.whvolunteers.org