English Français
Help preserve sites now!

Hiroshima Peace Memorial (Genbaku Dome)

Hiroshima Peace Memorial (Genbaku Dome)

The Hiroshima Peace Memorial (Genbaku Dome) was the only structure left standing in the area where the first atomic bomb exploded on 6 August 1945. Through the efforts of many people, including those of the city of Hiroshima, it has been preserved in the same state as immediately after the bombing. Not only is it a stark and powerful symbol of the most destructive force ever created by humankind; it also expresses the hope for world peace and the ultimate elimination of all nuclear weapons.

Mémorial de la paix d'Hiroshima (Dôme de Genbaku)

Le Mémorial de la Paix d'Hiroshima, ou Dôme de Genbaku, fut le seul bâtiment à rester debout près du lieu où explosa la première bombe atomique, le 6 août 1945. Il a été préservé tel qu'il était juste après le bombardement grâce à de nombreux efforts, dont ceux des habitants d'Hiroshima, en espérant une paix durable et l'élimination finale de toutes les armes nucléaires de la planète. C'est un symbole dur et puissant de la force la plus destructrice que l'homme ait jamais créée, qui incarne en même temps l'espoir de la paix.

النصب التذكاري للسلام في هيروشيما (قبّة جينباكو)

يُعتبَر النصب التذكاري للسلام في هيروشيما، أو قبة جينباكو، المبنى الوحيد المتبقّي قرب المكان حيث انفجرت القنبلة النوويّة الأولى في 6 آب أغسطس 1945. وقد تمّت المحافظة على الشكل الذي كان عليه بعد قصف القنبلة، وذلك بفضل جهودٍ حثيثةٍ،ٍ نذكر منها جهود سكّان هيروشيما الذين يتطلّعون إلى السلام الدائم والتخلّص نهائيًّا من الأسلحة النوويّة كافةً على الكرة الأرضيّة. فهذا النّصب رمزٌ متين وصلبٌ للقوّة الأكثر تدميرًا التي اخترعها الإنسان حتى الآن، وفي الوقت نفسه رمز لجنوح الإنسان نحو السلام والمل به.

source: UNESCO/ERI

广岛和平纪念公园(原爆遗址)

广岛和平纪念公园是1945年8月6日广岛原子弹爆炸区留下的唯一一处建筑。通过许多人的努力,包括广岛市民的努力,这个遗址被完好地保留了下来,一直保持着遭受原子弹袭击后的样子。广岛和平纪念公园不仅是人类历史上创造的最具毁灭性力量的象征,而且体现了全世界人们追求和平,最终全面销毁核武器的愿望。

source: UNESCO/ERI

Мемориал Мира в Хиросиме (купол Генбаку)

Купол Генбаку был единственным сооружением, уцелевшим на месте взрыва первой атомной бомбы 6 августа 1945 г. Стараниями многих людей, включая жителей Хиросимы, оно сохранено в том самом виде, каким было сразу после взрыва. Мемориал Мира не только яркий и мощный символ самой разрушительной силы, когда-либо созданной человечеством. Это выражение надежды на мир во всем мире и окончательное уничтожение всего ядерного оружия.

source: UNESCO/ERI

Memorial de la Paz en Hiroshima (Cúpula de Genbaku)

El Memorial de la Paz de Hiroshima, llamado también la Cúpula de Genbaku, es la estructura del único edificio que permaneció en pie cerca del lugar donde explotó la primera bomba atómica el 6 de agosto de 1945. Gracias a los esfuerzos de innumerables personas –y en particular de los propios habitantes de Hiroshima– se ha conservado en el mismo estado en que quedó después de la explosión. Este sitio no sólo es un símbolo descarnado y recio de la fuerza más destructiva creada por el hombre en toda su historia, sino también una encarnación de los anhelos de paz mundial y de una supresión definitiva de todas las armas nucleares.

source: UNESCO/ERI

原爆ドーム

source: NFUAJ

Vredesmonument van Hiroshima (Genbakukoepel)

Toen de eerste atoombom ontplofte boven Hiroshima om kwart over acht 's ochtends op 6 augustus 1945 – en 140.000 mensen omkwamen – was dit gebouw het enige dat overeind bleef in de buurt van het hypocentrum van de inslag van de bom, zij het in skeletachtige vorm. Het werd in die staat bewaard bij de wederopbouw van de stad en later bekend als de Genbaku (Atoombom) koepel. Niet alleen is het een grimmig en krachtig symbool van de meest destructieve kracht die ooit door de mens is gemaakt, het monument spreekt ook hoop uit voor wereldvrede en de uiteindelijke uitbanning van alle kernwapens.

Source: unesco.nl

  • English
  • French
  • Arabic
  • Chinese
  • Russian
  • Spanish
  • Japanese
  • Dutch
Hiroshima Peace Memorial (Genbaku Dome) © UNESCO
Outstanding Universal Value

Brief synthesis

The Hiroshima Peace Memorial (Genbaku Dome) is the only structure left standing near the hypocenter of the first atomic bomb which exploded on 6 August 1945, and it remains in the condition right after the explosion. Through the efforts of many people, including those of the city of Hiroshima, this ruin has been preserved in the same state as immediately after the bombing. Not only is it a stark and powerful symbol of the most destructive force ever created by humankind, it also expresses the hope for world peace and the ultimate elimination of all nuclear weapons. The inscribed property covers 0.40 ha in the urban centre of Hiroshima and consists of the surviving Genbaku Dome (“Genbaku” means atomic bomb in Japanese) within the ruins of the building. The 42.7 ha buffer zone that surrounds the property includes the Peace Memorial Park.

The most important meaning of the surviving structure of the Hiroshima Peace Memorial is in what it symbolizes, rather than just its aesthetic and architectural values. This silent structure is the skeletal form of the surviving remains of the Hiroshima Prefectural Industrial Promotional Hall (constructed in 1914). It symbolizes the tremendous destructive power, which humankind can invent on the one hand; on the other hand, it also reminds us of the hope for world permanent peace. 

Criterion (vi): The Hiroshima Peace Memorial (Genbaku Dome) is a stark and powerful symbol of the achievement of world peace for more than half a century following the unleashing of the most destructive force ever created by humankind.

Integrity

The Hiroshima Peace Memorial (Genbaku Dome) has been preserved as a ruin. It is all that remains of the Hiroshima Prefectural Industrial Promotional Hall ‘Hiroshima-ken Sangyo Shoreikan’ after the 1945 nuclear bomb blast. Inside the property, all the structural elements of the building remain in the same state as immediately after the bombing, and are well preserved. The property can be observed from the outside of the periphery fences and its external and internal integrity is well maintained. The buffer zone, including Hiroshima Peace Memorial Park, is defined both as a place for prayer for the atomic bomb victims as well as for permanent world peace.

Authenticity

In the last three conservation projects (1967, 1989-1990 and 2002-2003), minimum reinforcement with steel and synthetic resin was used in order to preserve the condition of the dome as it was after the atomic bomb attack. The Hiroshima Peace Memorial (Genbaku Dome) stands in its original location and its form, design, materials, substance, and setting are all completely authentic. It also maintains its functional and spiritual authenticity as a place for prayer for world peace and the ultimate elimination of all nuclear weapons.

Protection and management requirements

The Hiroshima Peace Memorial (Genbaku Dome) is designated as a historic site under Japanese 1950 Law for the Protection of Cultural Properties, and is managed by Hiroshima City under the guidance by the Hiroshima Prefectural Government and the Government of Japan. Financial and technical support is available from the Government of Japan. The park management office of Hiroshima City is located inside the Hiroshima Peace Memorial Park, and daily maintenance is conducted in cooperation with the division in charge of protecting cultural properties. Hiroshima City also conducts a detailed survey of its condition once every three years. A city beautification plan was developed by Hiroshima City that calls for this area to remain an attractive space appropriate to a symbol of the International Peace Culture City. Based on this beautification plan, landscape management standards seek to implement consultation for building height and alignment, as well as wall colors, materials and advertisement boards in the vicinity of the Hiroshima Peace Memorial Park included within the buffer zone. The protection of Peace Memorial Park was enhanced in 2007 with its designation as a Place for Scenic Beauty under the 1950 Law for the Protection of Cultural Properties.  

Long Description

The Hiroshima Peace Memorial (Genbaku Dome), is a stark and powerful symbol of the achievement of world peace for more than half a century following the unleashing of the most destructive force ever created by humanity.

In 1910 the Hiroshima Prefectural Assembly decided to build the Hiroshima Commercial Exhibition Hall to promote industrial production in the prefecture. Work started on a site on the east side of the Motoyasu River, to the designs of the Czech architect Jan Letzel, in 1914 and was completed the following year. In 1933 its name was changed to the Hiroshima Prefectural Industrial Promotion Hall.

When the first atom bomb exploded over Hiroshima at 8.15 on the morning of 6 August 1945, causing the deaths of 140,000 people, this building was the only one left standing near the hypocentre of the bomb blast, albeit in skeletal form. It was preserved in that state when reconstruction of the city began, and became known as the Genbaku (Atomic Bomb) Dome.

In 1966 Hiroshima City Council adopted a resolution that the dome should be preserved in perpetuity. The Peace Memorial Park, in which the dome is the principal landmark, was laid out between 1950 and 1964. The Peace Memorial Museum in the park was opened in 1955. Since 1952 the park has been the scene of the Hiroshima Peace Memorial Ceremony, held annually on 6 August.

The Hiroshima Prefectural Industrial Promotion Hall was a three-storey brick building with a five-storey central core topped by a steel-framed elliptical dome clad with copper. It covered 1,023 m2 and stood to a height of 25 m. The exterior walls were faced with stone and cement plaster. The dome was reached via a staircase located at the central entrance. The main building, some 150 m from the hypocentre of the explosion, was almost completely shattered and gutted: the roof and floor collapsed, along with most of the interior walls from the second floor upwards. However, because the force of the blast came from almost directly above, the foundations of the core section of the building under the dome remained standing. The remains of the fountain that had stood in the Western-style garden on the south side of the hall also survive. In its present form the building preserves in every detail its exact state after the blast.

The authenticity of the Genbaku Dome is not open to challenge: the ruined structure stands exactly as it did after the atomic bomb exploded on 6 August 1945. The only interventions since that time have been minimal, designed to ensure the continuing stability of the ruins. This may be likened to work carried out on archaeological sites around the world.

Source: UNESCO/CLT/WHC
Historical Description

In 1910 the Hiroshima Prefectural Assembly decided to build the Hiroshima Commercial Exhibition Hall to promote industrial production in the prefecture. Work started on a site on the eastern side of the Motoyasu River, to the designs of the Czech architect,Jan Letzel, in 1914 and was completed the following year. In 1933 its name was changed to the Hiroshima Prefectural industrial Promotion Hail.

When the first atom bomb exploded over Hiroshima at 8.15 am on 6 August 1945, causing the deaths of 140,000 people, this building was the only one left standing near the hypocentre of the bomb blast, albeit in skeletal form. It was preserved in that state when reconstruction of the city began, and became known as the Genbaku Dome (Atomic Bomb Dome). In 1966 Hiroshima City Council adopted a resolution that the Dome should be preserved in Perpetuity.

The Peace Memorial Park, in which the Dome is the principal landmark, was laid out between 1950 and 1964. The Peace Memorial Museum in the Park was opened in 1955. Since 1952 the Park has been the scene of the Hiroshima Peace Memorial Ceremony, held annually on 6 August

Source: Advisory Body Evaluation