English Français
Help preserve sites now!

Historic Centre of San Gimignano

Historic Centre of San Gimignano

'San Gimignano delle belle Torri' is in Tuscany, 56 km south of Florence. It served as an important relay point for pilgrims travelling to or from Rome on the Via Francigena. The patrician families who controlled the town built around 72 tower-houses (some as high as 50 m) as symbols of their wealth and power. Although only 14 have survived, San Gimignano has retained its feudal atmosphere and appearance. The town also has several masterpieces of 14th- and 15th-century Italian art.

Centre historique de San Gimignano

La ville de San Gimignano delle belle Torri est située en Toscane, à 56 km au sud de Florence. C'était un important point de relais pour les pèlerins qui se rendaient à Rome ou en revenaient par la Via Francigena. Les familles nobles qui contrôlaient la ville avaient bâti quelque 72 maisons-tours (jusqu'à 50 m de hauteur), symboles de leurs richesses et de leur pouvoir. Il ne reste que 14 de ces tours mais San Gimignano a conservé son ambiance et son apparence féodales. La ville recèle également des chefs-d'œuvre de l'art italien des XIVe et XVe siècles.

الوسط التاريخي لـسان جيمينيانو

تقع مدينة "سان جيمينيانو دلّي بيلّي تورّي"في محافظة توسكانا على بعد 56 كم جنوب فلورنسا. وكانت تشكل نقطة ربط هامة للحجاج الذاهبين إلى روما أو العائدين منها عبر الفيا فرانتشيجينا . فالعائلات النبيلة التي كانت تسيطر على المدينة كانت قد بنت حوالى 72 منزلاً برجًا (يصل ارتفاع كل منها إلى 50 م)، كرمز لثروتها وسلطتها. ولم يبق من تلك الأبراج إلاّ 41 لكن "سان جيمينيانو" حافظت على جوها ومظهرها الإقطاعيين. كما تحوي المدينة أيضًا تحفًا من الفن الإيطالي الخاص بالقرنين الرابع عشر والخامس عشر.

source: UNESCO/ERI

圣吉米尼亚诺历史中心

美丽的圣吉米尼亚诺坐落在托斯卡纳,在佛罗伦萨南部56公里处,是往返于弗朗西斯科和罗马之间朝拜圣者的重要物资补给地。当时控制这个城市的贵族家庭,在这里建造了72座塔楼(高约50米)以表明他们的富有和权力。虽然只有14座残存了下来,圣吉米尼亚诺仍然保留了它的封建基调和外貌。这座城市同时保留了几部14世纪至15世纪时期意大利的艺术杰作。

source: UNESCO/ERI

Исторический центр города Сан-Джиминьяно

Сан-Джиминьяно-делле-Белле-Торри находится в Тоскане, в 56 км к югу от Флоренции. Он служил важным остановочным пунктом для паломников, идущих в Рим или обратно по дороге Виа-Франчиджена. Патрицианские семьи, правившие в городе, построили 72 башни (некоторые из них – высотой до 50 м) как символы своего богатства и власти. Хотя сохранились только 14 из них, Сан-Джиминьяно сберег атмосферу и облик феодального города. В городе также находятся несколько шедевров итальянского искусства XIV и XV вв.

source: UNESCO/ERI

Centro histórico de San Gimignano

Situada en la región de la Toscana, a 56 kilómetros al sur de Florencia, la ciudad de San Gimignano delle belle Torri fue una importante etapa para los peregrinos que iban a Roma, o volvían de ella, por la Vía Francigena. Las familias patricias que gobernaban la ciudad construyeron 72 casas-torres de hasta 50 metros de altura, verdaderos símbolos de su riqueza y poderío. Aunque sólo quedan 14 de estos monumentos, San Gimignano ha conservado su aspecto y atmósfera feudales. La ciudad posee, además, obras maestras del arte italiano de los siglos XIV y XV.

source: UNESCO/ERI

サン・ジミニャーノ歴史地区

source: NFUAJ

Historisch centrum van San Gimignano

‘San Gimignano delle belle Torri’ ligt in Toscane – 56 kilometer ten zuiden van Florence – en diende als belangrijk schakelpunt voor pelgrims die reisden naar of vanuit Rome over de Via Francigena. De patricische families die over de stad heersten hebben ongeveer 72 torenhuizen gebouwd (sommigen wel 50 meter hoog), als symbool van hun rijkdom en macht. Hoewel er nu nog slechts 14 overeind staan, heeft San Gimignano haar feodale sfeer en uitstraling behouden. De stad illustreert een middeleeuwse beschaving omdat het alle typische stedelijke structuren bij elkaar brengt: pleinen, straten, huizen, paleizen, waterputten en fonteinen. De stad kent verschillende meesterwerken van 14e en 15e-eeuwse Italiaanse kunst.

Source: unesco.nl

  • English
  • French
  • Arabic
  • Chinese
  • Russian
  • Spanish
  • Japanese
  • Dutch
Historic Centre of San Gimignano © UNESCO
Long Description

San Gimignano bears exceptional testimony to the civilization of the Middle Ages in that it groups together within a small area all the structures typical of urban life: squares and streets, houses and palaces, wells and fountains.

San Gimignano is situated in the Val d'Elsa, 56 km south of Florence. Its walls and fortified houses form an unforgettable skyline, in the heart of the Etruscan landscape. San Gimignano was a relay point on the Via Francigena for pilgrims journeying to and from Rome. Originally under the jurisdiction of the bishops of Volterra, it became independent in 1199 when it acquired its first podestà. The free town, known as San Gimignano delle Belle Torri, entered into a long period of prosperity that lasted until 1353, when it fell under the sway of Florence. In 1262 an enceinte measuring 2,177 m, later to be reinforced with five cylindrical towers, girdled the small town.

The town was controlled by two major rival families - the Ardinghelli, Guelph sympathizers, and the Salvucci, who were Ghibellines - and was the scene of incessant conflicts between the two clans. As symbols of their wealth and power, 72 tower houses were built. Of these, 14 have survived, including the Cugnanesi house on the former Via Francigena (Via San Giovanni); the Pesciolini house on the Via San Matteo, on the Via del Castello, in the town's oldest quarter, the Palazzo Franzesi-Ceccarelli house, whose unsymmetrical facade ingeniously circumvented the law of 1255 which stipulated that no new residence should be wider than 12 arm spans for a linear depth of 24 arm spans.

The town grew around two principal squares, the Piazza della Cisterna and the Piazza del Duomo. The triangular Piazza della Cisterna is ornamented with a lovely well that stands in the centre. The piazza is bordered by tower houses: the twin towers of the Ardinghellis to the west, the tower of the Benuccis, the Casa Rodolfi and the Palazzo Razzi to the south, and the Palazzo dei Cortesi to the north.

The Piazza del Duomo has more a intricate layout that took form in the late 13th century. The majority of public and private monuments are found here. On the west, is the Collegiata of Santa Maria Assunta. On the east is the former palace of the podestà (1239), which was transformed into an inn, then a theatre, and today is disused; the Torre della Rognosa and the Torre Chigi are also on this side. The Palazzo del Popolo stands on the south along with the Torre Grossa which rises to 54 m and faces the twin towers of the Salvucci on the north.

The historic centre of San Gimignano contains a series of masterpieces of 14th- and 15th-century Italian art in their original architectural settings, including: in the cathedral, the fresco of the Last Judgment, Heaven and Hell by Taddeo di Bartolo (1393), the Martyrdom of S. Sebastian by Benozzo Gozzoli, and above all the magnificent frescoes by Domenico Ghirlandaio - the cycle of Santa Fina, the Annunciation in the St John baptistry. Other works of the same outstanding beauty include the huge frescoes by Benozzo Gozzoli depicting St Sebastian and St Augustine.

The frescoes by Memmo di Filippuccio which the township commissioned in 1303 to decorate the chambers of the podestà in the Palazzo del Popolo are among the most frequently reproduced documents used to illustrates daily life, down to its most domestic details, of the early 14th century.

Source: UNESCO/CLT/WHC