Fortress of Massanganu
Ministerio da Cultura Instituto Nacional do Patrimonio Cultural
The Tentative Lists of States Parties are published by the World Heritage Centre at its website and/or in working documents in order to ensure transparency, access to information and to facilitate harmonization of Tentative Lists at regional and thematic levels.
The sole responsibility for the content of each Tentative List lies with the State Party concerned. The publication of the Tentative Lists does not imply the expression of any opinion whatsoever of the World Heritage Committee or of the World Heritage Centre or of the Secretariat of UNESCO concerning the legal status of any country, territory, city or area or of its boundaries.
Property names are listed in the language in which they have been submitted by the State Party
The Fortress was founded by Cerveira Pereira in 1583, and would come to widen the zone of the portuguese occupation. The portugueses had been repelled by the Ngola, when in 1582, Paulo Dias de Novais, tried to penetrate in the region, estimulated by the4 legend of Silver Mines. The aim of its building was to destroy the resistance showed by the natives, marking its armed presence and to guarantee solidity to the networks of illegal slaves traffic. Massanganu was considered a gold mine, where a lot of people was captured to become cheap man-power in plantations and mines of the europeans in american lands. It was classified by the Provincial Decret n. 81, 28 of April of 1923.