Fortress of S. Pedro da Barra
Ministerio da CulturaInstituto Nacional do Patrimonio Cultural
The Tentative Lists of States Parties are published by the World Heritage Centre at its website and/or in working documents in order to ensure transparency, access to information and to facilitate harmonization of Tentative Lists at regional and thematic levels.
The sole responsibility for the content of each Tentative List lies with the State Party concerned. The publication of the Tentative Lists does not imply the expression of any opinion whatsoever of the World Heritage Committee or of the World Heritage Centre or of the Secretariat of UNESCO concerning the legal status of any country, territory, city or area or of its boundaries.
Property names are listed in the language in which they have been submitted by the State Party
The Fortress of "S. Pedro da Barra", situated on the ancient "Morro de Kassandama", actually "Ngola Kiluange" quarter, in Luanda.
In 1663, the King of Portugal sent to raise a strong defence of the "Barra de Luanda". It means that although the Portress of "S. Pedro da Barra" has been founded in 1703, another more ancient fortress was built in same place to offer more solidity to the portuguese occupation and this went a long way to give a bigger protection to its economic benefits in the region.
For years, and when the incursions of the other colonial potencies were stopped, the Fortress of "S. Pedro da Barra" was used as a lodging of slaves in transit, arising from the Factories (Feitorias) of the "Sertao", and who were sent to the lands of "New World" (America).
It was classified as National Monument by Provincial Decret n. 1057, 10 of November of 1932.
It is badly preserved, on account of its successive functions (military and defensive). It is also a state property, and- the responsibility for its maintenance and preservation concerns the Ministry of Defence and the Ministry of Culture.