M'banza Kongo was a very important political and administrative Center, because it was the capital of the very old kingdom of kongo, which expanded from Angola at actual Republic of Kongo.
The first portuguese contact with the king of Kongo is since 1490 and took place in the capital of M'banza Kongo where was inatalled the diocese of Angola and Kongo.
Actually, M'banza Kongo still contains an irnportant nurober of edifications or evidencies which belongs to the XVI Century such as: The old Cathedral Ruins, built in the same place where the first church in the south of the equator was built by the portugueses, before; The residence of the kings of the Kongo, where is now the Museum of the Kongo kingdom; The kings tomb, and many others edifications which are an extraordinary report of the past and the historical, cultural, archaeologic, religious and even political points of view.
The historical area of M'banza Kongo, was classified in 1957, due its great importance for the Angolan Cutural Heritage, for the African Continent, for the Central Africa, and even for the World.
It is a state property and the responsibility for its maintenance, preservation and administration concerns the Ministry of Culture, the government of Zaire Province and the Catholic Church.