Palace and Park Ensemble in the city of Homel
Délégation Permanente de la République de Bélarus auprès de l'UNESCO
The Secretariat of the United Nations Educational Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) and the World Heritage Centre do not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any advice, opinion, statement or other information or documentation provided by the States Parties to the World Heritage Convention to the Secretariat of UNESCO or to the World Heritage Centre.
The publication of any such advice, opinion, statement or other information documentation on the World Heritage Centre’s website and/or on working documents also does not imply the expression of any opinion whatsoever on the part of the Secretariat of UNESCO or of the World Heritage Centre concerning the legal status of any country, territory, city or area or of its boundaries.
Property names are listed in the language in which they have been submitted by the State Party
The Palace and Park Ensemble in the city of Homel is an architectural monument of the second half of the 18th and 19th centuries. It is situated on the right high bank of the river Sozh. It includes a palace, a park, the Ss. Peter and Paul Cathedral and a chapel.The Palace was built in the Classicism style and is the composite centre of the ensemble. The main building was constructed from 1777 to 1796 by architect Y.M. Alekseyev in cooperation with the architect K.I. Blanc. Two service wings (decorated with four-column Ionic porticos, which flank the main building, were built from 1800 to 1805. From 1837 to 1851 it was reconstructed and completed by architect Idzkovsky: the main building and lateral wings were connected by galleries with square pavilions. The second floor of the northern wing was built above it; with its portico dismantled and the interior lay-out changed. A pseudo Gothic four-tier tower and a pavilion with a skylight were constructed on the foundation of the dismantled southern wing. The pediment of the main building's portico was changed, with a veranda added on from its side, sculptures and cast-iron balustrades were set on the roofs of the main building. The palace was reconstructed in 1856 and in 1919-1920, damaged in 1941-1943 and restored in 1969. Today, the main facade of the palace has a three-part symmetrical composition and is decorated with a four-column Corinthian portico. The middle part of the facade, which faces the river, is decorated with a six-column portico. The walls are adorned with the Corinthian order pilasters. The palace has an enfilade lay-out. The center of the composition is a high cupolaed square hall decorated by rows of Corinthian columns finished with artificial marble. Light ceramic crimped tubes were used in the construction of the hall's cupola and the vault to make the construction lighter.At present the palace is houses the Homel regional ethnographic museum. The park offers a picturesque landscape in the central part of Homel. It is formed by a high terrace of the right bank of the river Sozh, cut through by several ravines, the vestiges of the water courses of the Ice Age. At present the Park is one of the best survived old parks of Belarus. 6 433 trees representing 44 types, 35% trees belong to exotic and relic. A part of the River Sozh with the riverside naturally formed green zone, which is adjacent to the Park, makes an an itegral part of the Palace and Park Ensemble being its integral part. The area provides a splendid landscape perspective, which opens up from the historical Park. The park included two parts - a landscape and a regular one. It has features of Romanticism that was characteristic for the first half of the 19th century. In 1889 a burial chapel of the Paskevichs was constructed in the pseudo Russian style by architect Y.I. Chervinsky in the park not far from the SS. Peter and Paul Cathedral. The SS. Peter and Paul Cathedral is a monument of Classicism architecture. It was built from 1809 to 1824 by Scottish architect G. Clark. At present, the cathedral is an active place of worship. Its lay-out has a form of an elongated cross with a developed transept, a short middle nave and small vestries around the altar part. The central part of the cathedral is crowned with a cupola on the lighting drum, which rests on four pillars in the interior. There are four Doric six-column porticoes in the ends and rows of semi¬columns on the side of the nave. Classicist decor was used to decorate the facades.