jump to the content

The ensemble of former city building of Sviyazhsk

Date of Submission: 31/08/1998
Category: Cultural
Submitted by:
Principal management of State Protection Control & Usage of History Monuments and Culture, Tatarstan
Coordinates: Long. 48°39' E ; Lat. 55°46' N Sviyahzsk village, Zelenodolsk region, republic of Tatarstan
Ref.: 1111
Export
Word File
Disclaimer

The Secretariat of the United Nations Educational Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) and the World Heritage Centre do not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any advice, opinion, statement or other information or documentation provided by the States Parties to the World Heritage Convention to the Secretariat of UNESCO or to the World Heritage Centre.

The publication of any such advice, opinion, statement or other information documentation on the World Heritage Centre’s website and/or on working documents also does not imply the expression of any opinion whatsoever on the part of the Secretariat of UNESCO or of the World Heritage Centre concerning the legal status of any country, territory, city or area or of its boundaries.

Property names are listed in the language in which they have been submitted by the State Party

Description

The ensemble of former city building (62 ha) consists of the structures of Uspenskiy Monastery and Ioann-Predtechensky Nunnery (cathedrals, churches, cells, stables, monastic schools, fortifications and towers), parish churches, dwelling and public constructions. Sviyazhsk was founded on the 24th of May, 1551 by the Russian tzar Ivan the Terrible as a powerful fortress, where everything was envisaged for beating off and defending it during a protracted siege and it was also a strong point on Kazan capture.