English Français
Help preserve sites now!

Buddhist Monastery Complex, Alchi, Leh, known as Alchi Chos-kor

Date of Submission: 03/07/1998
Category: Cultural
Submitted by:
Archaeological Survey of India
Coordinates: 77°10'30" N, 34°13'23"E
Ref.: 1088
Export
Word File
Disclaimer

The Secretariat of the United Nations Educational Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) and the World Heritage Centre do not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any advice, opinion, statement or other information or documentation provided by the States Parties to the World Heritage Convention to the Secretariat of UNESCO or to the World Heritage Centre.

The publication of any such advice, opinion, statement or other information documentation on the World Heritage Centre’s website and/or on working documents also does not imply the expression of any opinion whatsoever on the part of the Secretariat of UNESCO or of the World Heritage Centre concerning the legal status of any country, territory, city or area or of its boundaries.

Property names are listed in the language in which they have been submitted by the State Party

Description

Alchi, 65 km from Leh lies in the barren mountain valley of river Indus. It was patronised a thousand years ago by two wealthy Buddhist Monks, Kalden Sherap and Tshultrin and is founded by Rin-chen-Zang-po. Dwarfed by high mountains in the backdrop, the monasteries of Alchi are fine examples of traditional Tibetan architecture. Solid square and rectangular structures with flat roofs and with elaborate murals is a landmark of Buddhist art and architecture in the Himalayan region. Monastic complex of Alchi mainly comprises the following shrines: 1. Lha-Khang Soma (New Temple) 2. Sumstek (Triple storied shrine) 3. Dukhang (Assembly Hall) 4. Lotsava Lhakhang. 5. Manjushri Lhakhang (Temple of Manjushri) 6. Three Chhortens (Stupas) The murals depicted in the above shrines and stucco images enshrined therein are ascribable to period between 11th to 13th century A.D.