Photo & Story Contest
The Photo Contest was organized in the framework of the Project: "Towards strengthened governance of the shared transboundary natural and cultural heritage of the Lake Ohrid region", funded by the European Union and the Albanian Government and implemented by UNESCO. The aim of this project is to improve transboundary cooperation and management effectiveness for the protection of the natural and cultural heritage in the Lake Ohrid region.
#OurLakeOhrid Photo & Story Contest around the Lake Ohrid region and its heritage took place on Instagram and the Lake Ohrid Heritage Facebook page from 7 March to 7 April 2016. About 450 photos were posted on Facebook and Instagram. A jury made up of representatives from the from Ministry of Environment, Ministry of Culture, National Agency of Protected Areas, Institute of Monuments, EU, UNESCO, IUCN, and ICOMOS selected 10 winning photos.
Top 10 Winners
The village of Radozda
by Elena Nikolovska @redredvine
My Best Souvenir
by Teodora Krasimirova Koleva
by Ardian Fezollari @ardianfezollari
Radozda Struga overlooking Lin, Albania
by Slavica Panova @slavicapanova
by Nikola Naumoski @nikolanajk1
Congratulation to the winners and to all contributors. It was a great help to promote together our transboundary Lake Ohrid.
What are we looking for?
What will be taken into consideration by the jury is
We are looking for creative stories and passionate storytellers!
we wish to know why you care about the Lake Ohrid region.
the aesthetics and composition of the photograph.
Top 5 entries will receive a free Lake Ohrid region (LOR) gift bag (content of the bag: a LOR coat, a LOR thermos cup, a LOR 8GB USB key, a LOR notebook and a pen),
Top 10 entries will be showcased on the project’s webpage on the World Heritage Centre website as well as associated blogs and social media pages.
The competition will start on
7 March 2016 and
will end on
7 April 2016
The winners of the competition will be announced
by the end of April 2016
Terms and Conditions
The following Terms and Conditions apply to the #OurLakeOhrid photo contest. By participating in the contest, the candidates accept the full terms and conditions contained herein.
The following Terms and Conditions apply to the “OurLakeOhrid” photo contest, organized by the Lake Ohrid region project team composed of staff from UNESCO, the Advisory Bodies ICOMOS, ICCROM and IUCN as well as other relevant partners (project team). By participating in the contest, the candidates accept the full terms and conditions contained herein.
This contest involves the submission of photographs that illustrate the significance of the cultural and natural heritage of the Lake Ohrid region, accompanied by a short description of around 50-100 words explaining why this experience is important for the photographer and what his or her relationship with the Lake Ohrid region heritage.
The description may be submitted in English, Albanian and Macedonian. The contest is free of charge.
- Any individual from any country can take part. Members of UNESCO staff (either permanent or temporary) as well as the Advisory Bodies to the World Heritage Committee ICOMOS, ICCROM and IUCN are not eligible to participate.
- The Entries are intended to present and promote the principles of universality of cultural and natural heritage. This can include sites, monuments, objects, artefacts, and cultural practices such as music, dance and other traditions for the Lake Ohrid region.
- There are no limits on the number of Entries that each Entrant can submit. The photo can be prepared using a mobile phone or camera or any other device. Any expenses incurred during submission are to be borne by the Participant.
- There is no registration. Entry is determined by the posting of the photo with accompanying story to either Facebook or Instagram and tagging it with the #OurLakeOhrid hashtag. To be eligible, entries MUST be set as ‘Public’ so that they are visible to the project team.
- Entries must be submitted to Facebook or Instagram before 7 April 2016 at 18:00 Paris time (GMT + 2). Entries published after the established deadline shall not be considered. The project team shall not bear any responsibility for late or lost Entries due to network failure or any other reason.
- Photos must be taken and the accompanying text written by the Entrant him or herself. Photos must have been taken in the last five years, i.e. after 7 March 2011 in the Lake Ohrid region. Photos can be colour-corrected or have filters applied, but should not be digitally manipulated in terms of content and context.
- The project team reserves the right to exclude Entries that have obscene, violent, sexually explicit, sexist or racist content, or which violate any fundamental rights. The Entries must also not invade the rights of privacy of any person, living or deceased.
- By submitting their Entries via Instagram and Facebook and using the #OurLakeOhrid hashtag, the Entrants accept that these Entries may be used by the project team as part of its communication tools. By participating, the Entrants declare their agreement that the project team may use the material in line with the UNESCO Open Access policy (http://www.unesco.org/open-access/terms-use-ccbysa-en).
- Entrants must possess the exclusive rights to Entries and are responsible for having obtained any necessary permission from the subjects shown on the Entries, in accordance with applicable law. The project team will not be responsible for any claims or complaints against infringement of rights or damages from third parties relating to the Entries, and the Entrant agrees to indemnify and hold project team harmless in such cases.
- After 7 April 2016, the top ten (10) Entries will be contacted via the social media profile used to submit the Entry and asked to provide the following information:
- name of the photographer (Entrant);
- location of the photo;
- date of the photo;
- title; and
- full name of the person/people appearing on the photo, if applicable.
- Shortlisted Entrants will also be asked to sign a Creative Commons license that allows others to use and distribute the photos and texts. The Entrants will retain the right to use their images for whatever purpose they wish, and be attributed for any usage by project team or any another party. Users not agreeing to this license, or failing to respond within one week to project team’s message, will be excluded from the contest. For more information about the license, visit: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/2.5/.
- The project team will select the winning Entries on the basis of the following main criteria: (i) creativity, (ii) content (i.e. effectiveness of the entry as a tool to promote the values of the Lake Ohrid region) (iii) composition (i.e. technical and artistic quality of). The photo and text will be treated as equally important – a strong photo without accompanying text will not be considered.
- Top 5 entries will receive a free Lake Ohrid region project gift bag. There will be no cash alternatives. Top 10 entries will be compiled into a # OurLakeOhrid photo gallery, which the project team reserves the right to use in a manner it deems suitable.
- The project team’s decision will be final. Any attempt by an Entrant to influence the result or subvert the contest will lead to immediate disqualification.
- Participation in this contest implies accepting all of the present Terms and Conditions without exception. The project team reserves the right to rule on any issue(s) not covered by these Terms and Conditions. In the event that an Entrant should disagree with any decision made by project team, that Entrant will have the right to withdraw his or her Entry.
- The project team will inform the winners of the results of the challenge. If a winner is unable to be contacted after reasonable attempts have been made to do so, project team reserves the right to select the next best Entry.
- The project team reserves the right to modify or cancel the contest or any of the arrangements, schedules, plans or other items directly or indirectly related to the contest, at any time and for any reason.
- Winners will be entirely responsible for any taxes or charges related to the receipt of any prize.
For any further information, email email@example.com