The World Heritage Committee,
1. Upon examination of the findings of the UNESCO-ICOMOS reactive monitoring mission, expresses great concern over the ill-designed public works, particularly the road widening in the protected urban wetlands area and the riverbank consolidation along the Mekong financed under the Asian Development Bank loan which undermine the World Heritage value of the site, and the lack of compliance with the conservation plan (PSMV), despite its official adoption by the local and national authorities;
2. Endorses the 8-point corrective measures proposed by the mission;
3. Invites the Director-General to write to the President of the Asian Development Bank requesting the latter to support the local authorities of Luang Prabang in reinforcing the urban conservation and management capacity;
4. Requests the Centre to discuss the modalities for the implementation of the corrective measures;
5. Further requests the Centre and the Advisory Bodies to provide technical support to the State Party in the implementation of the proposed corrective measures;
the State Party to provide by 1 February 2003, a progress report on the implementation of corrective measures for examination at its 27th session in June/July 2003.