The World Heritage Committee,
1. Congratulates the high level of conservation of the public monuments composing the Historic Centre of Esfahan, including the Meidan Emam World Heritage area;
2. Expresses its appreciation to the State Party for its efforts to implement the recommendation of the 1995 UNESCO mission to extend the World Heritage protected area to include key monuments and historic architectural ensembles representing the Safavid period urban planning scheme, and encourages the authorities to submit by 1 February 2003 the final nomination for the extension;
3. Expresses concern over the new commercial complex being constructed within the "Conservation Protective Zone of Esfahan Historic City" which replaced a historic caravanserai and negatively impacts upon the skyline of the historic city;
4. Noting that the height of the new structure violates the maximum limitation of the construction within the Protective Zone, strongly recommends that the authorities redesign the commercial complex to ensure that height restrictions and regulations established by the Iranian Cultural Heritage Organization are followed;
5. Requests that the joint mission scheduled in early July 2002, be undertaken by an ICOMOS expert and an international urban planner and funded under the France - UNESCO Co-operation Agreement, to examine together with the authorities concerned, ways and means of limiting the negative impact caused by this new construction;
the State Party to submit by 1 February 2003, a report on the state of conservation of the property for examination at its 27th session in June/July 2003.