CONF 202 21B.52
Sangiran Early Man Site (Indonesia)
1. Expresses its appreciation to the State Party for hosting the UNESCO Training Seminar on Conservation, Preservation and Management of Zhoukoudian and Sangiran Cultural World Heritage Sites in April 2002, supported by the World Heritage Fund;2. Notes the absence of a permanent site-management authority supported by both conservation and development authorities and expresses its gratitude to the authorities for establishing a "Co-ordinating Board for the Protection and Management of Sangiran World Heritage Site";
3. Encourages the Board to elaborate a comprehensive management plan for the property, including a systematic monitoring scheme;
4. Encourages the authorities to seek technical and financial co-operation from the World Heritage Fund and through UNESCO agreements in order to increase the capacity of the officers responsible for the conservation, preservation and management of the property and to enhance site interpretation and presentation as well as community awareness;
5. Requests the World Heritage Centre to assist the authorities in mobilizing resources in an appropriate and timely manner;
6. Notes that recent archaeological excavations surrounding the existing World Heritage property have revealed valuable archaeological and scientific deposits;7. Encourages the authorities to consider extending the World Heritage property to include the newly excavated areas of potential World Heritage value.