Decision : CONF 202 21B.10
Kaziranga National Park (India)
1. Commends the National and State Government for having provided adequate resources to establish and maintain control over poaching, encroachment and illegal activities;
2. Notes that the level of on-the-ground staff presence, law enforcement and patrolling mechanisms backed up by relevant communication facilities are satisfactory;
3. Invites the National and State Governments to accelerate the finalization of the management plan, ensure the steady and predictable flow of technical and financial support and recognizes the need to introduce consultative and transparent management planning processes. In this way the needs of local communities would be integrated, while informing and educating them on the Park's local, national and global significance;
4. Urges the authorities concerned to explore ways and means of developing, as part of the management planning process, (a) an outreach and community strategy, (b) conservation education and awareness programmes, (c) a research agenda focusing on key management issues, (d) tourism-related activities and programmes;
5. Urges the Centre to co-operate with the State Party to explore ways and means to increase direct support for the site from the World Heritage Fund, donors such as the UN Foundation and other sources.