29 COM 8B.30
Nominations of Cultural Properties to the World Heritage List (Kunya-Urgench )
The World Heritage Committee,
1. Having examined Documents WHC-05/29.COM/8B, WHC-05/29.COM/8B.Add 2 and WHC-05/29.COM/INF.8B.1,
2. Inscribes Kunya-Urgench (Turkmenistan) on the World Heritage List on the basis of cultural criteria (ii) and (iii):
Criterion (ii): The tradition of architecture expressed in the design and craftsmanship of Kunya-Urgench has been influential in the wider region to the south and southwest i.e. in Iran and Afghanistan, and later in the architecture of the Mogul Empire (India, 16th century).
Criterion (iii): Kunya-Urgench provides an exceptional testimony to a cultural tradition (the Islamic culture of the Khorezm) and is unique in its state of preservation. The society that created this centre has disappeared; however we note that most of visitors are in fact pilgrims from the region.
3. Recommends that every effort be made to prevent encroachment on the protected area;
4. Invites the State Party of Turkmenistan to provide the park staff posted on the site sufficient political and financial support to enable them to protect the archaeological area;
5. Requests the State Party to submit, at two-year intervals, a report to the Committee, on the state of conservation of the site and the new development zones planned for the small contemporary urban settlement.