Borobudur Temple Compounds (Indonesia)
The World Heritage Committee,
1. Having examined Document WHC-07/31.COM/7B,
2. Recalling Decision 30 COM 7B.65, adopted at its 30th session (Vilnius, 2006),
3. Notes the State Party’s strong commitment to the conservation of the property of Borobudur, particularly for its actions in preventing the adverse impact of development projects; improving interpretation and presentation of the site and developing strengthened conservation policies for the stone of the Temple;
4. Urges the State Party to continue its efforts towards a revision of the legal and institutional framework for the protection and management of the property and its surrounding area, notably by the elaboration of a new Presidential Decree developed through a preliminary consultation among all concerned parties, according to the concept outlined in the report of the joint World Heritage Centre/ICOMOS mission of 2006;
5. Requests the State Party to discontinue the practices that appear to have a negative impact on the stone of the Borodbudur temple, notably the use of epoxy resin, steam cleaning and water repellents, and to continue the monitoring and research activities initiated in co-operation with the World Heritage Centre, with a view to incorporating a conservation/restoration strategy as part of the Management Plan;
6. Also requests the State Party to submit to the World Heritage Centre, by 1 February 2009, a report on the state of conservation of the property, including information on the progress achieved in the implementation of paragraphs 4 and 5 above, for examination by the Committee at its 33rd session in 2009.