Decision : 29 COM 8B.23
Nominations of Cultural Properties to the World Heritage List (Osun-Osogbo Sacred Grove )
The World Heritage Committee,
1. Having examined Documents WHC-05/29.COM/8B, WHC-05/29.COM/8B.Add 2 and WHC-05/29.COM/INF.8B.1,
2. Inscribes Osun-Osogbo Sacred Grove (Nigeria) on the World Heritage List on the basis of criteria (ii), (iii) and (vi):
Criterion (ii): The development of the movement of New Sacred Artists and the absorption of Suzanne Wenger, an Austrian artist, into the Yoruba community have proved to be a fertile exchange of ideas that revived the sacred Osun Grove ;
Criterion (iii): The Osun Sacred Grove is the largest and perhaps the only remaining example of a once widespread phenomenon that used to characterise every Yoruba settlement. It now represents Yoruba sacred groves and their reflection of Yoruba cosmology.
Criterion (vi): The Osun Grove is a tangible expression of Yoruba divinatory and cosmological systems; its annual festival is a living thriving and evolving response to Yoruba beliefs in the bond between people, their ruler and the Osun goddess.
3. Requests the State Party of Nigeria to consider how the management of the natural qualities of the Grove could be strengthened through being integrated into the management of the cultural qualities;
4. Also requests the State Party to provide information, as soon as possible, on the closure of the tarmac road;
5. Further requests the State Party to consider putting in place a cultural tourism management plan to sustain the spiritual, symbolic and ritual qualities of the Grove in relation to the very large numbers of people visiting this property, particularly during the festival period.