The Sundarbans (Bangladesh) (N 798)
The World Heritage Committee,
1. Having examined Document WHC-11/35.COM/7B.Add,
2. Recalling Decision 33 COM 7B.12, adopted at its 33rd session (Seville, 2009),
3. Notes with satisfaction the initiation of the Sundarbans Environmental and Livelihoods Security project, which includes support for ecological monitoring and documenting the impacts of climate change on the Outstanding Universal Value of the property, and welcomes the State Party's commitment to expand its coastal greenbelt zone through mangrove afforestation as a mitigation measure to climate change;
4. Also notes that in the absence of ecological monitoring data for the property, it is not possible to assess the status of its Outstanding Universal Value, and requests the State Party to submit the results of the ecological monitoring programme to the World Heritage Centre for review, as soon as these become available;
5. Further notes that inadequate resources and infrastructure are likely to limit the effective protection of the property against potential threats from poaching, resource extraction and other illegal activities, and invites the State Party to submit an International Assistance request to further support the ongoing restoration of infrastructure and the procurement of management resources;
6. Also requests the State Party to submit to the World Heritage Centre, by 1 February 2013, a report on the state of conservation of the property, and progress achieved with regards to post-cyclone restoration, as well as of the results from the ecological monitoring programme.