Decision : 29 COM 7B.73
Palace and Gardens of Schönbrunn (Austria)
The World Heritage Committee,
1. Having examined Document WHC-05/29.COM/7B.Rev,
2. Thanks the State Party of Austria for having provided updated information on the state of the planning process for the area of Meidling;
3. Noting with concern that another high-rise building project is likely to affect the World Heritage property in Vienna,
4. Encourages the State Party to improve specific legislation so as to ensure appropriate legal protection of the historic urban fabric and structure including its visual integrity;
5. Recalls the importance of taking into account the recommendations of the "Vienna Memorandum on World Heritage and Contemporary Architecture - Managing the Historic Urban Landscape" referred to in Decision 29 COM 5.3, adopted at its 29th session (Durban, 2005).
6. Urges the State Party to reconsider the height of this building project and to submit alternative solutions with no direct impact on the visual integrity of the property;
7. Requests the State Party to invite a joint UNESCO/ICOMOS mission to the property before the decision on the final project is taken;
8. Further requests the State Party to provide an updated report to the World Heritage Committee by 1 February 2006 for examination by the Committee at its 30th session (Vilnius, 2006).