34 COM 10D
Final report on the implementation of the Africa 2009 Programme
The World Heritage Committee,
1. Having examined Document WHC-10/34.COM/10D,
2. Recalling Decision 33 COM 11C adopted at its 33rd session (Seville, 2009),
3. Notes the strong results obtained by the AFRICA 2009 programme from 1998 - 2009;
4. Notes with appreciation the work done by the 5 institutional partners, ICCROM, the UNESCO World Heritage Centre, CRATerre-ENSAG, EPA, and CHDA to contribute to the successful implementation of the programme;
5. Also notes with great appreciation the role of the financial partners, the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (Sida) through the Swedish National Heritage Board, the Ministries of Foreign Affairs of Norway, Italy and Finland, the UNESCO World Heritage Fund, and ICCROM in the success of the programme;
6. Endorses the concept of a new programme to be managed by the regional institutions to consolidate the gains of AFRICA 2009 and to expand its scope to include natural heritage conservation;
7. Requests the World Heritage Centre and Advisory Bodies to continue to support capacity building efforts in Africa and to ensure that the new programme's objective takes into account results of the second cycle of the periodic reporting exercise for Africa;
8. Welcomes the offer of the Governments of Australia and Senegal to organize an expert meeting in Dakar, Senegal in mid April 2011 on strategies to address global state of conservation challenges, with a focus on Africa, and also requests a report on the outcomes of the meeting at the 35th session of the World Heritage Committee in 2011;
9. Further requests State Parties to prioritize the allocation of additional financial resources to ensure the successful implementation of the new programme.
10. Requests furthermore the World Heritage Centre to report to the 35th session of the Committee in 2011 on the proposed framework and modalities for the new Africa 2020 programme.