Alejandro de Humboldt National Park (Cuba) (N 839rev)
The World Heritage Committee;
1. Having examined Document WHC-10/34.COM/7B,
2. Recalling Decision 33 COM 7B.36, adopted at its 33rd session (Seville, 2009),
3. Notes the progress achieved by the State Party in implementing the 2009 Operational Plan, which has enhanced the effectiveness of management of the property;
4. Notes with appreciation the confirmation provided by the State Party that at present no mining is planned in the property, but considers that the continued existence of mining concessions if activated would be considered a threat to the property, as per Paragraph 180 of the Operational Guidelines;
5. Reiterates its request to the State Party to make a clear and unequivocal commitment to eliminate the mining concessions granted within the boundaries of the property (in line with the international policy statement of the International Council of Mining and Metals (ICMM) of not undertaking these activities in World Heritage properties), and those in its periphery, that could seriously and irreversibly affect its Outstanding Universal Value, including the conditions of integrity, if activated;
6. Requests the State Party to submit to the World Heritage Centre, by 1 February 2012, a report on the inactivity of all mining concessions with a view to their upcoming cancellation, and updating the World Heritage Committee on any other factors significantly affecting the Outstanding Universal Value, including the conditions of integrity, of the property.