28 COM 15B.60
The World Heritage Committee,
1. Commends the State Party for the completion or ongoing implementation of the corrective measures recommended by the March 2002 UNESCO-ICOMOS joint mission to Luang Prabang;
2. Supports the Agence Française de Développement-funded study of the coherent territorial planning scheme to decompress the infrastructural pressure on the historic centre of the World Heritage property;
3. Notes with concern the continued violations to the Luang Prabang conservation plan (PSMV) and the illegal constructions, which constitute a serious threat to the World Heritage values of the property and encourages the State Party to ensure adequate legal enforcement of the PSMV;
4. Reiterates its deep concern at the insensitive public works of road upgrading along the Mekong and Nam Khan rivers, carried out by the Asian Development Bank, resulting in oversized drainage, widening of roads into the non-constructible urban wetlands protected area;
5. Urges the State Party to take immediate action for the mitigation of the negative impacts of the public works on the World Heritage values of the property;
6. Requests the State Party to submit to the World Heritage Centre, by 1 February 2005, a progress report on the research and actions undertaken to mitigate air and noise pollution on-site, as well as on the legal enforcement of the PSMV, to be examined by the World Heritage Committee at its 29th session in 2005.