Decision : 28 COM 15B.19
Phong Nha-Ke Bang National Park
The World Heritage Committee,
1. Commends the Government of Viet Nam and the Provincial Government of Quang Binh for taking immediate action to implement the decisions of the 27th session of the Committee and encourages them to continue the momentum particularly with regard to the critical issue of fighting forest crimes, such as illegal logging and stealing of timber from the property;
2. Expresses its satisfaction and appreciation to the Governments of Viet Nam and Lao PDR for re-launching the dialogue to build trans-border co-operation that is critical for the conservation of the karst forests and their biodiversity represented in the Phong Nha Ke Bang World Heritage property and contiguous areas in Lao PDR;
3. Welcomes the interest of the World Bank in promoting trans-border co-operation between Viet Nam and Lao PDR and urges the World Heritage Centre and IUCN to fully co-operate with the Bank and other partners to build capacity in the two countries for trans-border co-operation for ecosystem conservation and protected area management;
4. Requests the State Party to submit a report by 1st February 2005 on measures taken to mitigate the negative impacts of the road construction project linking the Ho Chi Minh Highway and route 20, information on the regulations that apply to the management of the buffer zone, and on enforcement measures and other action that will be taken to control illegal logging and forest crimes, for examination by the World Heritage Committee at its 29th session in 2005;
5. Reiterates its request for the State Party to prepare and submit a visitor management plan for the property.