Decision : 30 COM 7A .19
Abu Mena (Egypte) (C 90)
The World Heritage Committee,
1. Having examined Document WHC-06/30.COM/7A,
2. Recalling Decision 29 COM 7A.17 adopted at its 29th session (Durban, 2005),
3. Congratulates the State Party for its efforts in addressing the issue of the rising ground water table;
4. Urges the State Party to implement the recommendations of the joint World Heritage Centre/ICOMOS mission of 2005:
a) Carry out a rapid condition survey of all excavated remains and urgent conservation measures in order to provide protection to structures during the vibration and other forms of damage likely to result from the use of heavy earth-moving equipment;
b) Lower the water table by means of drainage ditches and pipes, inside and around the archaeological area;
c) Establish an efficient system for monitoring the water table in the archaeological site and in the surrounding zones;
d) Prepare a conservation plan, defining short-, medium-, and long-term objectives and establishing technical parameters (materials, techniques, etc);
e) Undertake consultations with stakeholders with the objective of preparing a management plan, to include research, presentation and interpretation, the role of stakeholders (e.g. the Mar Mena community), staffing, sponsorship, visitor facilities, access, etc.
5. Requests the State Party to define urgently the boundaries of the property and of its buffer zone and to provide a map to the World Heritage Centre;
6. Further requests the State Party to submit, by 1 February 2007, a detailed progress report for examination by the Committee at its 31st session in 2007;
7. Decides to retain Abu Mena (Egypt) on the List of World Heritage in Danger.