World Heritage Volunteers 2017
The World Heritage Volunteers (WHV) 2017 campaign: Heritage in our hands will take stock of the progress made over the past ten years to mobilize youth to preserve and promote World Heritage by reaching out to their peers and their communities.
Over the past ten years, the World Heritage Volunteers (WHV) Initiative has tremendously grown due to the increasing interest and appreciation for the protection and preservation of World Heritage sites. In the year of its 10th anniversary, 51 youth action projects will be implemented at 50 World Heritage properties and sites inscribed on the Tentative Lists, from May through November 2017, by 46 organisations in 32 countries.
From the Vajrayogini temples of Kathmandu Valley in Nepal to the 16th-Century Monasteries on the Slopes of Popocatepetl in Mexico, from the parks and gardens of Classical Weimar in Germany to the vertiginous peaks of Rwenzori Mountains National Park in Uganda, the local and international volunteers of the WHV 2017 will be involved in projects held at some of the most outstanding places in the world. Offering a great opportunity for volunteers to immerse themselves in learning about the day-to-day life at a World Heritage sites, the WHV 2017 will enable volunteers to acquire basic preservation and conservation skills, and to engage in intercultural exchanges with local communities while being involved in World Heritage preservation and promotion.
Join us. Volunteering for World Heritage preservation is a unique experience.
The World Heritage Volunteers Initiative is led by the UNESCO World Heritage Centre (WHC) in collaboration with the Coordinating Committee for International Voluntary Service (CCIVS), European Heritage Volunteers (as a branch of Open Houses) and Better World.
If you want to get involved in a project, take a look upon the project profiles of each WHV 2017 action camp and contact directly the project organizer who will provide you with the procedure to follow.
Please note that the organizer’s contacts are in the project profiles.
- WHV - Cultural Heritage and Sustainable Development to Increase Tourism in Cameroon, Cameroon, Better Life Initiative (BLI)
- WHV - Maasai Mara National Game Reserve, Kenya, Global Voluntary Development Association (GVDA)
- WHV - Parcours pédagogique « Le Patrimoine culturel notre repère : Place et rôle des jeunes dans la préservation et la protection », Mali, Fédération Malienne des Clubs, Centres et Associations UNESCO
- WHV - Heritage needs You(th): Conservation of Idanre Hill, Nigeria, Voluntary Workcamps Association Of Nigeria (VWAN)
- WHV - Construction of three Native Chalets, Nigeria, Grassroots lifesaving outreach
- WHV - Projet de Protection et de développement durable du site Koutammakou, Togo, Frères Agriculteurs et Artisans pour le Développement (FAGAD)
- WHV - Sauvons la Takienta, Togo, Corps des Volontaires Béninois (CVB)
- WHV - Ecology and the protection of the sanctuaries ‘’Fawaafa’’, Togo, Association des Jeunes Volontaires pour le Développement Communautaire (AJVDC)
- WHV - Bwindi Impenetrable National Park, Uganda, Uganda Voluntary Development Association (UVDA)
- WHV - Rwenzori Mountain National Park, Uganda, Uganda Voluntary Development Association (UVDA)
- WHV - Restoring the Archaeological ruins, Zimbabwe, Youth 2 Youth in Zimbabwe
- WHV - Restoration of the Great Zimbabwe National Monument, Zimbabwe, Youth 2 Youth in Zimbabwe
- WHV - International Camp for Voluntary Work, Bahrain, Good Word Society (GWS)
- WHV - Historic Cairo Youth Camp, Egypt, Youth and Development Consultancy Institute - Etijah
- WHV - Rabat a historic city needs us, Morocco, National Union of work camps and Volunteers
- WHV - Let us work for Udayas, Morocco, Workcamps and cultures
- WHV - Hand By Hand, Palestine, Multipurpose Community Resource Center (MCRC)
- WHV - Oral History Collection related to Al Khidr Monastery, Palestine, Nawa for Culture and Arts Association/ Al Khidr Library for Children
Asia and the Pacific
- WHV – Initiative to Protect Lalbagh Fort by Working Together, Bangladesh, ECS – Education & Cultural Society
- WHV - Angkor, Cambodia, Korea Angkor Cultural Heritage Institute
- WHV – The Feast of Na-Tcha in the Historic Centre of Macao, China, Macao New Chinese Youth Association (MNCYA)
- WHV - Dong Building Technology, China, Beijing Tsinghua Tongheng Urban Planning & Design Institute, Institute for Historic and Cultural Cities
- WHV - Lets Heritage, India, Elixir Foundation
- WHV - Sangai, India, Existence
- WHV - The Great Himalayan National Park, India, Field Services and Inter-Cultural Learning (FSL India)
- WHV - Hampi, India, Field Services and Inter-Cultural Learning (FSL India)
- WHV - Western Ghats (Agumbe),India, Field Services and Inter-Cultural Learning (FSL India)
- WHV - Prambanan Temple Compounds, Indonesia, Dejavato Foundation
- WHV - Borobudur Village Project, Indonesia, IIWC of PKBI
- WHV – Persian Garden and Qanats, Iran (Islamic Republic of), Sarvsaan Cultural Heritage Group
- WHV - Vajrayogini Conservation Project (WHV-VIN-01 and 02), Nepal, Volunteers Initiative Nepal (VIN)
- WHV – Forgotten Fortress, Republic of Korea International Workcamp Organisation (IWO)
- WHV - Zvartnots Cathedral, Armenia, HUJ Voluntary Service of Armenia
- WHV - Wachau Volunteers / Youth for Nature, Austria, Wachau Dunkelsteinerwald Regionalentwicklung
- WHV - Ratiaria Semper Floreat, Bulgaria, Bulgarian Archaeological Association
- WHV - Contributing to the Sustainability of the Fortress, Finland, The Governing Body of Suomenlinna
- WHV - Parks and Gardens of Classical Weimar, Germany, European Heritage Volunteers
- WHV - Maintenance of the Cultural Landscape Upper Middle Rhine Valley, Germany, European Heritage Volunteers
- WHV - International Tourist Assistance, Promotion and Accessible Tourism Monitoring, Italy, UNESCO Sicily Heritage Foundation
- WHV - Solovki Botanical Garden, Russian Federation, Center of International Youth and Student exchange voluntary programs
- WHV - The Second Life of historical Monuments near St. Petersburg, Russian Federation, NGO "Mir tesen"
- WHV - Heart of the Taiga, Russian Federation, Virgin Komi forests
- WHV - Bolgar International Volunteer Workcamp, Russian Federation, Bolgar Historical and Archaeological Complex
- WHV - Discovering the Bird's World at the Lake Baikal, Russian Federation, Great Baikal Trail
- WHV – Decorated Stone Elements , rescue and conservation,Serbia, Institute for Cultural Heritage Preservation
- WHV-Strategizing & Securing UN SDGs 13 - 15: Climate Change Adaptation Action Camp, United States of America, United Nations Association Honolulu & Hawai'i Institute for Human Rights
- WHV- City of Potosí, Bolivia (Plurinational State of), Red Tinku Bolivia
- WHV - Blue and John Crow Mountains National Park, Jamaica, Jamaica Conservation and Development Trust
- WHV – Intermunicipal World Heritage on the Slopes of the Popocatepetl, Mexico, Asociación Mexicana de Voluntariado International
- WHV - Young Guardians of Teotihuacan, Mexico Departamento de Museos y Comunicación Educativa de la Zona de Monumentos Arqueológicos de Teotihuacán del Instituto Nacional de Antropología e Historia
- WHV - CHAN CHAN - Adobe citadel largest in pre-Columbian America, Peru, Brigada de Voluntarios Bolivarianos del Peru